visualizing CGAL objects

12

visualizing CGAL objects

tcscott
Dear All

Thanks for the feedback and clarification so far.

I am trying other examples in CGAL.  I tried Min_circle_2

I would get an executible a.out from:

g++ -L/opt/local/lib -lcgal -I/opt/local/include/ -lgmp -lmpfr -L/opt/local/lib/ -lboost_thread-mt min_circle_2.cpp

Output:

CGAL::Min_circle_2( |P| = 100, |S| = 2
  P = {
    PointC2(98, 0),
    PointC2(-99, 0),
    PointC2(94, 0),
    PointC2(92, 0),
    PointC2(90, 0),
    PointC2(-89, 0),
    PointC2(64, 0),
    PointC2(-85, 0),

      .
      .
      .

    PointC2(80, 0),
    PointC2(96, 0),
    PointC2(24, 0),
    PointC2(-83, 0),
    PointC2(-73, 0),
    }
  S = {
    PointC2(98, 0),
    PointC2(-99, 0),
    }
  circle = CGAL::Optimisation_circle_2( PointC2(-0.5, 0), 9702.25)
)

===

I would get a similar result from Min_ellipse_2

Question is: how to visualize the results?

My earlier and very first result with Convex_Hull could be done in
gnuplot because the output were x-y pairs but these  are CGAL data structures.

I found mention of the Qt Graphics View Framework:

http://doc.cgal.org/Manual/3.4/doc_html/cgal_manual/GraphicsView/Chapter_main.html

but I need a concrete example.

If I need additional software, what do I need to install?

What is the simplest way to visualize these results?

best wishes

Tony

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

andreas.fabri

Have a look at the demo of the chapter
http://doc.cgal.org/4.8/Manual/packages.html#PkgBoundingVolumesSummary

It visualizes min circle and min ellipse.

andreas

On 25/02/2016 06:57, tcscott wrote:

> Dear All
>
> Thanks for the feedback and clarification so far.
>
> I am trying other examples in CGAL.  I tried Min_circle_2
>
> I would get an executible a.out from:
>
> g++ -L/opt/local/lib -lcgal -I/opt/local/include/ -lgmp -lmpfr
> -L/opt/local/lib/ -lboost_thread-mt min_circle_2.cpp
>

> Output:
>
> CGAL::Min_circle_2( |P| = 100, |S| = 2
>    P = {
>      PointC2(98, 0),
>      PointC2(-99, 0),
>      PointC2(94, 0),
>      PointC2(92, 0),
>      PointC2(90, 0),
>      PointC2(-89, 0),
>      PointC2(64, 0),
>      PointC2(-85, 0),
>
>        .
>        .
>        .
>
>      PointC2(80, 0),
>      PointC2(96, 0),
>      PointC2(24, 0),
>      PointC2(-83, 0),
>      PointC2(-73, 0),
>      }
>    S = {
>      PointC2(98, 0),
>      PointC2(-99, 0),
>      }
>    circle = CGAL::Optimisation_circle_2( PointC2(-0.5, 0), 9702.25)
> )
>
> ===
>
> I would get a similar result from Min_ellipse_2
>
> Question is: how to visualize the results?
>
> My earlier and very first result with Convex_Hull could be done in
> gnuplot because the output were x-y pairs but these  are CGAL data
> structures.
>
> I found mention of the Qt Graphics View Framework:
>
> http://doc.cgal.org/Manual/3.4/doc_html/cgal_manual/GraphicsView/Chapter_main.html
>
> but I need a concrete example.
>
> If I need additional software, what do I need to install?
>
> What is the simplest way to visualize these results?
>
> best wishes
>
> Tony

Andreas Fabri, PhD
Chief Officer, GeometryFactory
Editor, The CGAL Project

phone: +33.492.954.912    skype: andreas.fabri

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

tcscott
Hello

I have seen this but - maybe I am missing something - where is the code, the set of instructions
to produce a picture?

The adjacent download for a demo is an exe file, good for Windows I presume, but I am using a MAC.

Can anyone tell me how to visualized these CGAL objects on a MAC?

best wishes

Tony

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

andreas.fabri
CGAL-4.7/demo/Bounding_volumes/

On 25/02/2016 08:27, tcscott wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have seen this but - maybe I am missing something - where is the code, the
> set of instructions
> to produce a picture?
>
> The adjacent download for a demo is an exe file, good for Windows I presume,
> but I am using a MAC.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to visualized these CGAL objects on a MAC?
>
> best wishes
>
> Tony

Andreas Fabri, PhD
Chief Officer, GeometryFactory
Editor, The CGAL Project

phone: +33.492.954.912    skype: andreas.fabri

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

tcscott
Hi again

Still no visualization.

I did get to CGAL-4.7/demo/Bounding_volumes
and attempted to compile and link:

 g++ -L/opt/local/lib -lcgal -I/opt/local/include/  -lgmp Bounding_volumes.cpp
Bounding_volumes.cpp:18:10: fatal error: 'QtGui' file not found
#include <QtGui>

I downloaded Qt on my MAC (much to my chagrin because it took a long time).
It is a huge amount of code and I have still no idea what it does.

I did not find any QtGui.h though I did find a number of subdirectories called QtGui.  I tried:

g++ -L/opt/local/lib -lcgal -I/opt/local/include/ -I/opt/local/libexec/qt5/include -lgmp Bounding_volumes.cpp
Bounding_volumes.cpp:18:10: fatal error: 'QtGui' file not found
#include <QtGui>
         ^

Still no result.  I cannot find QtGui.h anywhere.
Nor could I not find any solution on the web nor in past postings.

Has the QtGui.h been replaced by qwidget.h by any chance?

I could use some help :-(

best wishes

Tony

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

andreas.fabri

Hi Scott,

It makes no sense to stipple together a g++ -L ....

The CGAL library, as well as the examples and demo come
with CMakeLists.txt  files for cmake, you have to configure
and generate a Makefile  (or whatever generator you choose)
and then call make, and then you have your demo.

Note also that what I write here informally,
is documented.

Best,

Andreas

On 26/02/2016 08:29, tcscott wrote:

> Hi again
>
> Still no visualization.
>
> I did get to CGAL-4.7/demo/Bounding_volumes
> and attempted to compile and link:
>
>   g++ -L/opt/local/lib -lcgal -I/opt/local/include/  -lgmp
> Bounding_volumes.cpp
> Bounding_volumes.cpp:18:10: fatal error: 'QtGui' file not found
> #include <QtGui>
>
> I downloaded Qt on my MAC (much to my chagrin because it took a long time).
> It is a huge amount of code and I have still no idea what it does.
>
> I did not find any QtGui.h though I did find a number of subdirectories
> called QtGui.  I tried:
>
> g++ -L/opt/local/lib -lcgal -I/opt/local/include/
> -I/opt/local/libexec/qt5/include -lgmp Bounding_volumes.cpp
> Bounding_volumes.cpp:18:10: fatal error: 'QtGui' file not found
> #include <QtGui>
>           ^
>
> Still no result.  I cannot find QtGui.h anywhere.
> Nor could I not find any solution on the web nor in past postings.
>
> Has the QtGui.h been replaced by qwidget.h by any chance?
>
> I could use some help :-(
>
> best wishes
>
> Tony

Andreas Fabri, PhD
Chief Officer, GeometryFactory
Editor, The CGAL Project

phone: +33.492.954.912    skype: andreas.fabri

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

tcscott
Dear Andreas

Thank you. If you insist, yes I do:

cgal_create_CMakeLists -s executable
cmake -DCGAL_DIR=$HOME/CGAL-4.7 .
make

The last command yields:

Scanning dependencies of target executable
[ 50%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/executable.dir/Bounding_volumes.cpp.o
/Users/tonyscott/Documents/CGAL/CGAL-4.7/demo/Bounding_volumes/Bounding_volumes.cpp:18:10: fatal error:
      'QtGui' file not found
#include <QtGui>
         ^
1 error generated.
make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/executable.dir/Bounding_volumes.cpp.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/executable.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

Bottom line is that file  QtGui.h is missing.

Question: does Bounding_volumes work for you?  and do you use/have a QtGui.h at your end?

best wishes

Tony

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

andreas.fabri

It is not that I insist. There IS a CMakeLists.txt  (now a .bak
after you have run the script), and if not, then this is a bug.

andreas

On 26/02/2016 09:44, tcscott wrote:

> Dear Andreas
>
> Thank you. If you insist, yes I do:
>
> cgal_create_CMakeLists -s executable
> cmake -DCGAL_DIR=$HOME/CGAL-4.7 .
> make
>
> The last command yields:
>
> Scanning dependencies of target executable
> [ 50%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/executable.dir/Bounding_volumes.cpp.o
> /Users/tonyscott/Documents/CGAL/CGAL-4.7/demo/Bounding_volumes/Bounding_volumes.cpp:18:10:
> fatal error:
>        'QtGui' file not found
> #include <QtGui>
>           ^
> 1 error generated.
> make[2]: *** [CMakeFiles/executable.dir/Bounding_volumes.cpp.o] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/executable.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Bottom line is that file  QtGui.h is missing.
>
> Question: does Bounding_volumes work for you?  and do you use/have a QtGui.h
> at your end?
>
> best wishes
>
> Tony

Andreas Fabri, PhD
Chief Officer, GeometryFactory
Editor, The CGAL Project

phone: +33.492.954.912    skype: andreas.fabri

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

tcscott
Apparently in the transition from Qt4 to Qt5, there have been changes:

https://forum.qt.io/topic/22596/from-qt4-to-qt5-include-files-not-found

Files that used to be in Qt4 cannot be found in Qt5.  That includes:

#include <QtGui>
#include <QString>

Professed Solution:

Add this in your *.pro file:
QT += widgets
Change all instances of
#include <QtGui>
#include <QtWidgets>

Trouble is I don't know where or what this .pro file is.  I only found one such file i.e.
example.pro in

~/Qt/Examples/Qt-5.5/

I cannot believe this because that also means substantial changes everywhere else
for the demos (?)

Has anybody hit this problem?  and does anybody have an economic solution?

Is anybody out there using Qt5 with CGAL-4.7 on a MAC?

best wishes and thanks in advance for any help.

Tony

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

teillaud
Administrator
On 29 Feb 2016, at 11:58, tcscott <[hidden email]> wrote:

Apparently in the transition from Qt4 to Qt5, there have been changes:

I cannot believe this because that also means substantial changes everywhere
else for the demos (?)

There was _a lot_ of work done to port the CGAL demos to qt5 before releasing 4.7.

Is anybody out there using Qt5 with CGAL-4.7 on a MAC?

I recently used the CGAL triangulation demos (2d, 3d, and periodic) for teaching, without any problem.

--
Monique Teillaud
http://www.loria.fr/~teillaud/
Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et Automatique

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

tcscott
I tried Triangulation_2

I hit the same problem as before - #include<QtGui> produces an error.

Something could be missing in my installation.  I did install Qt5 for the MAC.

Where is your QtGui sub-directory and/or header file location?

best wishes

Tony

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

andreas.fabri

To begin with the beginning:
Did you succeed to configure/generate/build   libCGAL_Qt5  ??

If this is not the case how does your  CMakeCache look like?

Andreas

On 29/02/2016 12:54, tcscott wrote:

> I tried Triangulation_2
>
> I hit the same problem as before - #include<QtGui> produces an error.
>
> Something could be missing in my installation.  I did install Qt5 for the
> MAC.
>

> Where is your QtGui sub-directory and/or header file location?
>
> best wishes
>
> Tony

Andreas Fabri, PhD
Chief Officer, GeometryFactory
Editor, The CGAL Project

phone: +33.492.954.912    skype: andreas.fabri

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

tcscott
Dear all

THX.  at least we're getting closer to the problem.

Simply put I don't have libCGAL_Qt5

I did install Qt5 for the MAC
I have done:

sudo port install cgal +qt5 +universal +demos

cmake -gui .

yields

libCGAL_ImageIO is configured
-- Sources for CGAL component library 'CGAL_Qt3' detected
-- Sources for CGAL component library 'CGAL_Qt5' detected
Configuring libCGAL_Qt5
-- libCGAL_Qt5 is missing the dependencies:  Qt5Svg Qt5 cannot be configured.
-- Sources for CGAL component libraries 'CGAL_Core;CGAL_ImageIO;CGAL_Qt3;CGAL_Qt5' detected

So it can sense the CGAL_Qt5.

I think the problem is listed in the CHANGES file:

    compile libCGAL_Qt5 and demos, you must set the cmake or environment
    variable Qt5_DIR to point to the path to the directory containing the file
    Qt5Config.cmake created by your Qt5 installation. If you are using the open
    source edition it should be /path-to/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-
    <version>/qtbase/lib/cmake/Qt5.

So apparently libCGAL_Qt5 has to be compiled i.e. built and this was not clearly
specified in the doc.

Moreover,  I don't how to do it.  Oh I can find Qt5Config.cmake and it is correctly
listed in CMakeCache.txt.  I just have no idea how to build libCGAL_Qt5

best wishes

Tony

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
Looking at the macport repo, it looks like the maintainer have
disabled CGAL_Qt5:

"bump to 4.7 and move to github port. Qt5 disabled because I can’t build
it on my computer. To be enabled later."

https://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/gis/cgal/Portfile

You should probably build CGAL yourself (even if looking at the script
adding +qt5 should do the job, but I don't know anything about port
scripts).

Sebastien.

On 03/02/2016 07:04 AM, tcscott wrote:

> Dear all
>
> THX.  at least we're getting closer to the problem.
>
> Simply put I don't have libCGAL_Qt5
>
> I did install Qt5 for the MAC
> I have done:
>
> sudo port install cgal +qt5 +universal +demos
>
> cmake -gui .
>
> yields
>
> libCGAL_ImageIO is configured
> -- Sources for CGAL component library 'CGAL_Qt3' detected
> -- Sources for CGAL component library 'CGAL_Qt5' detected
> Configuring libCGAL_Qt5
> -- libCGAL_Qt5 is missing the dependencies:  Qt5Svg Qt5 cannot be
> configured.
> -- Sources for CGAL component libraries
> 'CGAL_Core;CGAL_ImageIO;CGAL_Qt3;CGAL_Qt5' detected
>
> So it can sense the CGAL_Qt5.
>
> I think the problem is listed in the CHANGES file:

>      compile libCGAL_Qt5 and demos, you must set the cmake or environment
>      variable Qt5_DIR to point to the path to the directory containing the
> file
>      Qt5Config.cmake created by your Qt5 installation. If you are using the
> open
>      source edition it should be /path-to/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-
>      <version>/qtbase/lib/cmake/Qt5.
>

> So apparently libCGAL_Qt5 has to be compiled i.e. built and this was not
> clearly
> specified in the doc.
>
> Moreover,  I don't how to do it.  Oh I can find Qt5Config.cmake and it is
> correctly
> listed in CMakeCache.txt.  I just have no idea how to build libCGAL_Qt5
>
> best wishes
>
> Tony

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

tcscott
Hello again

THX.  At least this tells me what my problem is but I submit this is wholly unacceptable for any new
user with a MAC.  It means I cannot work out the demos nor visualize the CGAL data structures on a MAC.

I have to think if I should even bother continuing with CGAL.

So much code.

So much effort.

but clearly the MAC version for this code is something of a bust.

best wishes

Tony

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
As I already said the CGAL project is not responsible for
the creation of the macport package.

If you have installed all required dependencies, compiling CGAL is
simple:

https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/releases/download/releases%2FCGAL-4.8-beta1/CGAL-4.8-beta1.zip
 > unzip CGAL-4.8-beta1.zip
 > cd CGAL-4.8-beta1
 > cmake .
 > make
 > CGAL_DIR=`pwd`
 > export CGAL_DIR
 > cd demo/Triangulation_2
 > cmake .
 > make

Sebastien.

On 03/02/2016 03:41 PM, tcscott wrote:

> Hello again
>
> THX.  At least this tells me what my problem is but I submit this is wholly
> unacceptable for any new
> user with a MAC.  It means I cannot work out the demos nor visualize the
> CGAL data structures on a MAC.
>
> I have to think if I should even bother continuing with CGAL.
>
> So much code.
>
> So much effort.
>
> but clearly the MAC version for this code is something of a bust.
>
> best wishes
>
> Tony

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

teillaud
> De: "tcscott" <[hidden email]>
> À: [hidden email]

> It means I cannot work out the demos nor visualize the
> CGAL data structures on a MAC.

I am afraid that there is a mistake in your logic.
No, the fact that the person who is preparing the CGAL package for macport has problems with Qt5 does not imply that you cannot use CGAL on your Mac.

If all CGAL users and developers working on a mac can do it, and if even I can, then you can...

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

Daniel Duque
Tony,

I have been using a well known piece of software called OpenFOAM for some time now. There are only binaries for some linux distributions. For others, including openSUSE and other major ones, you have to compile it yourself. It seems you may compile it on a mac, and even on windows.

My point is, the fact that you have to compile some piece of open software for your particular architecture is extremely common. And, it should be seen as a lucky fact -- it's certainly not an option for commercial software! Much as I'd like to install, say, GarageBand on my PC, I can't compile it, and I know it won't be ported.

Best,

Daniel

On 2 March 2016 at 19:46, Monique Teillaud <[hidden email]> wrote:
> De: "tcscott" <[hidden email]>
> À: [hidden email]

> It means I cannot work out the demos nor visualize the
> CGAL data structures on a MAC.

I am afraid that there is a mistake in your logic.
No, the fact that the person who is preparing the CGAL package for macport has problems with Qt5 does not imply that you cannot use CGAL on your Mac.

If all CGAL users and developers working on a mac can do it, and if even I can, then you can...

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

Phil Weir
Hi Tony,

Not a member of the project but currently spending today digging
through CGAL stuff, so thought I'd chip in:

On 03/02/2016 02:41 PM, tcscott wrote:
 > Hello again
 >
 > THX. At least this tells me what my problem is but I submit this is
wholly
 > unacceptable for any new
 > user with a MAC. It means I cannot work out the demos nor visualize the
 > CGAL data structures on a MAC.

As far as your previous emails suggest, the two difficulties you
experience are:

(a) the unrelated MacPorts package, which someone somewhere has
decided to create, has installation issues (but you are reluctant to
raise them in that project for reasons that remain unclear). An
example of someone doing so is here:
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/48718

Binary packages for Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Windows, RH etc.
will also have their separate downstream bug trackers and package
maintainers, so Mac isn't special here. As there are an unknown number
of possible platforms, all with their own caveats, it is not practical
for upstream developers to take responsibility for managing all of
them in any large project, whether CGAL, Qt, GIMP, Linux, KDE or
otherwise. (If this source / binary separation isn't familiar, then
this is a far more general pattern than CGAL, so there are probably
better forums to get into that discussion if you feel it doesn't suit
your needs.)

On the other hand, I come from a maths, not development background, so
gaining adequate developer skills is possible and allows you to be
independent of these platform-specific binary projects, going straight
to the source. Which brings me to:

(b) as an alternative to binary installation, you have tried source
installation. However, not being familiar with dependency handling or
CMake, it is hard - for example, a person familiar with CMake, but not
CGAL, would have avoided the issues you experienced. Several obstacles
you mentioned as being Mac-specific issues, were not - I'm pretty sure
you would have got the same output from the same input on any
Unix-like platform. As CMake is a very standard cross-platform
development tool, it is not the responsibility of the CGAL developers
to re-document it, so I would suggest starting with a few CMake
projects to get the hang of it. There is nothing in the CGAL
documentation that suggests you can build the source distribution with
no familiarity with standard C++ compilation tools, nor should there
be.

 > I have to think if I should even bother continuing with CGAL.
 >
 > So much code.
 >
 > So much effort.
 >
 > but clearly the MAC version for this code is something of a bust.

 From your other emails, I can't see any indication that there is a
genuine problem with the CGAL code, and other Mac users have confirmed
it is working, but you seem to be expecting binary support from an
upstream library source project. The compilation problems sound more
like a CMake documentation issue, or something that would be helped
with practice - there may well be CGAL bugs in the CMake scripts, but
the most helpful contribution you could make would be to get familiar
with CMake, isolate the problem, and file a bug report. If you don't
want "so much code", then a binary is your only option, which means
filing a bug in the right place, with the binary distribution.

If you genuinely think there is a problem with compiling the code on a
Mac, other than inexperience working with CMake-built code in general,
it would be good to clarify that, but there doesn't seem to be
evidence from what I have seen so far. To encourage you, you seem to
be getting closer, but I, along with many others depending on this
project, very much appreciate the effort the CGAL developers put into
their core jobs, and this thread has begun to drift away from
CGAL-specific problems.

In summary, for anybody else using a Mac who comes along later,
working with this code on Mac is unlikely to be different from other
platforms, never mind a bust, at all.

I hope you are successful in getting CGAL up and running on your
machine - the code development skills in doing so are transferable to
many other projects.

With best wishes,
Phil

Re: visualizing CGAL objects

Adam Getchell
Hi Tony,

My project’s travis.yml file contains instructions on how to compile CGAL from source successfully on a Mac. It does this everytime I push a commit to GitHub.

https://github.com/acgetchell/CDT-plusplus/blob/master/.travis.yml

Note that Travis has Homebrew already installed, which in my opinion is the best package manager for MacOSX.

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew

Once you have Homebrew though, you can just do:

# brew install cgal

And it will just work. (N.B. I’ve updated the Homebrew cgal formula for the past few versions.)

If you’re interested in the QT stuff, do:

# brew install coal --with-imaging

Best,

Adam Getchell
about.me/adamgetchell

> On Mar 2, 2016, at 6:41 AM, tcscott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello again
>
> THX.  At least this tells me what my problem is but I submit this is wholly
> unacceptable for any new
> user with a MAC.  It means I cannot work out the demos nor visualize the
> CGAL data structures on a MAC.
>
> I have to think if I should even bother continuing with CGAL.
>
> So much code.
>
> So much effort.
>
> but clearly the MAC version for this code is something of a bust.
>
> best wishes
>
> Tony

12