is there a vtk-to-CGAL converter?

Michel Audette
Dear CGAL developers,

I saw that the CGAL code has C3T3 and C2T3 to VTK converters, but I was wondering if the reverse converter exists somewhere. I am using MINC-formatted segmented volumes as input, which VTK can process but CGAL cannot. Moreover, these volumes have thin cracks (one or more sulci that I want to account for) that apparently gave problems to the CGAL polyhedral surface extraction (which I attempted after a conversion from MINC to Analyze), so I'm trying vtkMarchingCubes first, then would like to attempt the edge-collapse decimation,  and compare with VTK decimation methods. I need to either convert from a vtk surface output to CGAL C2T3, or use the vtkPolyData info to construct a CGAL polyhedral surface. Is there an example somewhere that I can use to achieve this?

Best wishes,

Michel

--
Michel Audette, Ph.D.
R & D Engineer,
Chapel Hill, N.C.

Re: is there a vtk-to-CGAL converter?

ajinkyanawarkar35
" saw that the CGAL code has C3T3 and C2T3 to VTK converters, but I was
wondering if the reverse converter exists somewhere."

Where did you find the converters from C3T3 to vtk, Michel? I'm trying to
view .mesh format and converting to .vtk to view it in paraview is the only
option it looks like

Re: is there a vtk-to-CGAL converter?

dlenz
You can include the converters with

#include <CGAL/IO/Complex_2_in_triangulation_3_to_vtk.h>
#include <CGAL/IO/Complex_3_in_triangulation_3_to_vtk.h>

The entire CGAL/IO folder in your installation is very useful, if not always
well-documented.

Also, I've taken to using Meshlab ( http://www.meshlab.net/ ) for viewing
OFF formats ("native" to CGAL).  The tool meshlabserver (installed with
meshlab) is also good for converting file formats.  You may find it handy.

Note that if you do decide to install meshlab, the binaries can be found in
the folder src/distrib/, for some reason...

David