gsoc 2019

Shubham Verma
Hello Dear Sir,

My name is Shubham Verma. I am a B tech 2nd-year I.T. student I would like to look into working with cgal for the Google Summer of Code 2019.

I have just recently started learning and looking into the contributions that I can make to GitHub issues. As this is my first GSOC  I wanted to know what other things I have to do to be part of an organization.

I would be grateful if you can tell me if there's anything else that I could do which would be appreciated. Any further guidance or inputs would certainly be of great help.

Thank you!

Re: gsoc 2019

Efi Fogel
Hi Shubham (first name?)

Thanks for showing interest.

This project requires knowledge in C++ generic programming, QT, as well as computational geometry and naturally CGAL.

Regarding Generic Programming, I recommend the book entitled "Generic Programming and the STL", see, e.g., https://books.google.co.il/books/about/Generic_Programming_and_the_STL.html?id=4K5QAAAAMAAJ&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y, and especially, the first 3 chapters. The book https://books.google.co.il/books?id=u0CONtnwi9YC&pg=PA15&dq=CGAL+Arrangement&hl=iw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4n-jAwevfAhXO_aQKHSK9AY4Q6AEIKzAB#v=onepage&q=CGAL%20Arrangement&f=false can also help. You may find chapters online.

If you haven't installed CGAL, I suggest that you do. Do it from sources. That is, clone the git repository available on github at https://github.com/CGAL/cgal and build the libraries. You will have to install first the dependencies (e.g., Boost); see http://doc.cgal.org/latest/Manual/installation.html. Install CGAL with Qt support and with CORE support. So you would have to install Qt and CORE as well before you actually install CGAL. After you are done with installing CGAL, try to build and run some example in the Regularized Boolean Operation Package. If you still have the power, build the "2D Arrangement" demo or the "Polyhedron" demo or both. Then, start filling out the GSoC application. At this point I should be able to suggest a few things.
Good luck,
Efi
                         _/