dynamic polygon-splitter presentation?

CarstenT
Hi all,
I'm a hobby-programmer that has thrown myself into an OpenGL quest and hit another: automatic splitting a polygon into drawables. Somehow the CGAL library capable of doing the job never surfaced in my google-search (10 years ago).
The new quest was simple: just find ONE safe 'link' across the polygon, and you'r home! .. just repeat this on the two new polygons that comes out of the split.
I cannot be the brightest bulp on the tree .. it took such a long time. Ok, meny other aspects of the quest got a thorough makeover in the process: a comprehensive GUI to test my attempts, both the visual presentation of the result, and the cpu agillity during a freehand build and edit of a polygon.
I will only trouble you with a single aspect of the splitting, but I have realized that, where it goes from there is ever so interesting and will offer you to present it here.
Are you interested?

Re: dynamic polygon-splitter presentation?

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
IIUC, you wrote an recursive triangulation algorithm of a polygon
in order to display it in OpenGL, right?

What is your question? If it is not CGAL related it's not sure you'll
get an answer but you can still ask :)

Sebastien.

On 11/22/19 6:47 PM, Carsten wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm a hobby-programmer that has thrown myself into an OpenGL quest and
> hit another: automatic splitting a polygon into drawables. Somehow the
> CGAL library capable of doing the job never surfaced in my google-search
> (10 years ago).
> The new quest was simple: just find ONE safe 'link' across the polygon,
> and you'r home! .. just repeat this on the two new polygons that comes
> out of the split.
> I cannot be the brightest bulp on the tree .. it took such a long time.
> Ok, meny other aspects of the quest got a thorough makeover in the
> process: a comprehensive GUI to test my attempts, both the visual
> presentation of the result, and the cpu agillity during a freehand build
> and edit of a polygon.
> I will only trouble you with a single aspect of the splitting, but I
> have realized that, where it goes from there is ever so interesting and
> will offer you to present it here.
> Are you interested?

Re: dynamic polygon-splitter presentation?

CarstenT
Hi Sebastien
I'm a hobby-programmer. Producing a dynamic polygon-editor, where the
polygon is colored during editing, has been more complicated and labourious
to me than making my masters degree in geology. It's grown into existence
over a ten year period. I've made it a virtue not to reveale any details as
I thought it was a unique solution to a problem that had not been solved
yet. So, I never told anyone about what I've been doing over all that time.
Often I still have an inner monologue that presents my 'discoveries' to the
world. It's that monologue I ask you permission to present to this forum,
that's my question. One may say that it's of historical interest, not
geometric since a library-solution was presented here 20 years ago.
I've always been aware that, once my editor was done, I could always throw
it into the open and noone would doubt where my time had gone. But, the
partitioning was just a paranthesis and there is still a lot missing in a
'contents creation tool'.
I did write the story down with the title --- it's a TREE, stupid! ---
If that makes you laugh, you don't need to read the rest of it ;o)