convert Plane_3 to Triangle_3

Joe C-2
Hi,

Are there any functions available in CGAL to convert a Plane_3 to Triangle_3? Or any hint on how to do this?

Joe

Re: convert Plane_3 to Triangle_3

Laurent Rineau (GeometryFactory)
On Wednesday 04 August 2010 18:23:16 Joe C wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any functions available in CGAL to convert a Plane_3 to
> Triangle_3? Or any hint on how to do this?

Geometrically, I cannot see what sort of conversion you would want.

The answer to your question is certainly no, and that is not specific to the
implementation of CGAL geometric objects.

R&D Engineer at GeometryFactory           http://www.geometryfactory.com/
Release Manager of the CGAL Project       http://www.cgal.org/

Re: convert Plane_3 to Triangle_3

Sylvain Pion
Hi Joe,

Le 04/08/10 18:23, Joe C a écrit :
> Are there any functions available in CGAL to convert a Plane_3 to
> Triangle_3? Or any hint on how to do this?

If what you mean is how to generate a triangle included in a plane,
then the answer is that there is no direct function, but it's easy to do :

Plane_3 h;
Point_3 p = h.point();
Triangle_3 t(p, p + h.base1(), p + h.base2());

--
Sylvain

Re: convert Plane_3 to Triangle_3

Joe C-2
Thank you for your replies, Laurent and Sylvain. I guess my original question was not quite clear. Let me rephrase it: can I triangulate a Plane_3 so I can get a triangular mesh which represents this Plane_3? In this case, all the triangles will be coplanar.

The reason for this is that I have to have triangular mesh to do some other stuff, Plane_3 won't work for me.

Anyway, if it's not trivial to do this, I may try to avoid Plane_3 at the first place.

Thanks.
Joe

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Sylvain Pion <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Joe,