Visualize non-2-manifold object

AliiAsgharii
Hello CGAL team,
Is there any way to read and draw non-2-manifold objects using CGAL?
I could see in the master version of CGAL, drawing nef polyhedron would be
possible.
Does it mean by using that we would be able to draw this sort of objects?
and if yes, when would be able to use this facility as the examples are not
accessible yet?

Best regards,
Ali

Re: Visualize non-2-manifold object

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
Are you looking for that example?

https://cgal.geometryfactory.com/CGAL/doc/master/Nef_3/Nef_3_2draw_nef_3_8cpp-example.html

Best,

Sebastien

On 5/28/20 3:11 AM, AliiAsgharii ([hidden email] via
cgal-discuss Mailing List) wrote:

> Hello CGAL team,
> Is there any way to read and draw non-2-manifold objects using CGAL?
> I could see in the master version of CGAL, drawing nef polyhedron would be
> possible.
> Does it mean by using that we would be able to draw this sort of objects?
> and if yes, when would be able to use this facility as the examples are not
> accessible yet?
>

> Best regards,
> Ali

Re: Visualize non-2-manifold object

AliiAsgharii
I already tried several times to compile this example. But I receive this
error:
"cannot open include file: 'CGAL/draw_nef_3.h': No such file or directory

I updated the Nef_3 folder, Shall I need to update CGAL to use this?

Best regards,
Ali

Re: Visualize non-2-manifold object

andreas.fabri

You have to upgrade.

Best,

Andreas

On 5/28/2020 8:38 AM, AliiAsgharii ([hidden email] via cgal-discuss Mailing List) wrote:
I already tried several times to compile this example. But I receive this
error:
"cannot open include file: 'CGAL/draw_nef_3.h': No such file or directory

I updated the Nef_3 folder, Shall I need to update CGAL to use this?

Best regards,
Ali

Andreas Fabri, PhD
Chief Officer, GeometryFactory
Editor, The CGAL Project

phone: +33.492.954.912    skype: andreas.fabri

Re: Visualize non-2-manifold object

AliiAsgharii
Hi Andreas,
I tried to upgrade CGAL using vcpkg. However, the version that vcpkg tries
to download and install is still the latest stable version of CGAl, version
5.0.2. How can I upgrade CGAL to version 5.1 which supports draw_nef_3?
In addition, the link for CGAL-5.1-examples.zip
https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/releases/download/releases/CGAL-5.1/CGAL-5.1-examples.zip,
does not work and could not find the examples.

I would be appreciated if you could give me some advice regarding this.

Best regards,
Ali

Re: Visualize non-2-manifold object

Adam Getchell
Hi Ali,

The vcpkg team at Microsoft has not yet released a port for CGAL 5.1; as you note, the current version in vcpkg is 5.0.2.

If you want them to upgrade their port, I’d suggest filing an issue here:

Cheers,
Adam

On May 31, 2020, at 6:56 AM, AliiAsgharii ([hidden email] via cgal-discuss Mailing List) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Andreas,
I tried to upgrade CGAL using vcpkg. However, the version that vcpkg tries
to download and install is still the latest stable version of CGAl, version
5.0.2. How can I upgrade CGAL to version 5.1 which supports draw_nef_3?
In addition, the link for CGAL-5.1-examples.zip
https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/releases/download/releases/CGAL-5.1/CGAL-5.1-examples.zip,
does not work and could not find the examples.

I would be appreciated if you could give me some advice regarding this.

Best regards,
Ali

Re: Visualize non-2-manifold object

Laurent Rineau (CGAL/GeometryFactory)
On Sunday, May 31, 2020 3:56:32 PM CEST AliiAsgharii wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> I tried to upgrade CGAL using vcpkg. However, the version that vcpkg tries
> to download and install is still the latest stable version of CGAl, version
> 5.0.2. How can I upgrade CGAL to version 5.1 which supports draw_nef_3?
> In addition, the link for CGAL-5.1-examples.zip
> https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/releases/download/releases/CGAL-5.1/CGAL-5.1-ex
> amples.zip, does not work and could not find the examples.

CGAL-5.1 is not yet released. You can check that information on www.cgal.org
or https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/releases

However, with vcpkg you have the possibility to download and install the
`master` version of CGAL (that corresponds to the future CGAL-5.1), with:

    vcpkg install --head

R&D Engineer at GeometryFactory           http://www.geometryfactory.com/
Release Manager of the CGAL Project       http://www.cgal.org/

Re: Visualize non-2-manifold object

AliiAsgharii
Hi all,
I urgently need to do some analysis on non-2-manifold objects. How is it
possible to install the master version of CGAL (A straightforward
instruction please)?
Is it possible to use draw_nef_3 example in case of a successful install?

Any help regarding this would be appreciated.
Best regards,
Ali

Re: Visualize non-2-manifold object

Maxime Gimeno
I think you need the [qt] option in the vcpkg command too, if you want to draw things.
So you should probably use

  vcpkg.exe install --head cgal[qt]

Le ven. 28 août 2020 à 02:31, AliiAsgharii <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi all,
I urgently need to do some analysis on non-2-manifold objects. How is it
possible to install the master version of CGAL (A straightforward
instruction please)?
Is it possible to use draw_nef_3 example in case of a successful install?

Any help regarding this would be appreciated.
Best regards,
Ali

Re: Visualize non-2-manifold object

AliiAsgharii
I have the Qt installed and I am already drawing 3D objects, the 2-manifold
ones with the 3D polyhedral surface library and mesh surface library.
I could see there is an update on CGAL version 5.1 which enables us to draw
the non-manifold objects. However, the formal 5.1 version has not been
released yet and also the examples for this version are still not available.
I was wondering if I could install the beta or master version using VCPKG
and using the examples regarding the nef_3 for doing some analysis around
non-2-manifold objects with the visualisation.

Re: Visualize non-2-manifold object

AliiAsgharii
Hi all,
Using Nef_3 library, I have recently noticed that it is not possible to draw
a non-2-manifold object with OFF format by draw_nef_3. I have tried to draw
the following object (two cubes with one shared edge) but nothing showed.
<http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376202/Capture.jpg>

Could CGAL enable us to draw and visualise this type of objects? Are there
any solutions for handling this situation in CGAL?

Best regards,
Ali

Re: Visualize non-2-manifold object

Guillaume Damiand
Hi Ali;

Le 06/10/2020 à 15:34, AliiAsgharii a écrit :
> Hi all,
> Using Nef_3 library, I have recently noticed that it is not possible to draw
> a non-2-manifold object with OFF format by draw_nef_3. I have tried to draw
> the following object (two cubes with one shared edge) but nothing showed.
> <http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376202/Capture.jpg>
>
> Could CGAL enable us to draw and visualise this type of objects? Are there
> any solutions for handling this situation in CGAL?

You can visualize a non manifold object using Nef_3 and the draw function.

But a Nef_3 object can not be created from a non manifold off (cf doc
here https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Nef_3/index.html#title8).

One possible solution is to split your object in several off files, each
one being an oriented closed 2-manifold.
Then you can load each off into one Nef_3 object, and merge all the
objects in one Nef_3 using for example the Nef_nary_union_3 class (cf.
https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Nef_3/classCGAL_1_1Nef__nary__union__3.html).

Best
Guillaume

PS: Attached a snapshot of the draw, using two cubes from two different
off files.

> Best regards,
> Ali

Guillaume DAMIAND

CNRS - LIRIS UMR 5205
Université Claude Bernard
Bâtiment Nautibus (710)
43 Boulevard du 11 Novembre 1918
69622 Villeurbanne Cedex (France)
Tél: +33 (0)4.72.43.14.34                 Fax: +33 (0)4.72.43.15.36
Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://liris.cnrs.fr/guillaume.damiand/

=?UTF-8?Q?Capture_d=e2=80=99=c3=a9cran_de_2020-10-08_10-13-52=2epng?= (29K) Download Attachment
smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Visualize non-2-manifold object

AliiAsgharii
Hi Guillaume,
Thank you for the solution for drawing the non-2-manifold objects.
Now this question crossed my mind that whether I would be able to do some
analyses on this merged file as one single object. Because at the end of the
day my next objective is to apply some rules such as checking the geometry
closure, self-intersection, planarity, etc on this non-2-manifold object.

Let me first try out your solution.
Best regards,
Ali