Tutoring/Consulting

Holosim

Good day!

I'm wondering if anyone on the mailing list would be available or interested in offering tutoring/consulting services to work with me on CGAL?

The initial support need is simply to get CGAL working on my Windows 7 workstation (Xeon E5-2650) with MS Visual Studio 2013.

The OS and chipset supports 64-bit, but for my projects I am constrained to 32-bit.

I've spent the last 2 months trying to get CGAL working on my PC, and it has been both an educational as well as humbling experience 😊.

Programming for a given API (e.g. DirectX, OpenGL, OpenFlight, etc) has never been a problem for me,

but configuring a library, especially one that has to be compiled for the given architecture and specific version of VS, turns out to be my weakness.

So I need to take a step back and relearn much of what I've forgotten about compiling libraries.

In the meantime, I'm hoping to find a kind soul who could offer guidance and mentorship so that I can get my project on track while I strengthen my foundation in library compilation.

My project involves performing boolean unions on large sets of closed convex meshes.

I've proven that my algorithm works in 3DS Max using their internal scripting tools and python.

However, Max has poor memory allocation, and cannot handle the shear bulk of geometry that needs to be processed.

So I was very excited when I discovered CGAL last Fall and how I might be able to use it to complete my project.

I've actually restarted the process of installing CGAL from scratch a few times using the CGAL Windows Installation workflow, and each time I came across a different blocker.

The main issues have been getting Boost, GMP and QT to behave well enough to allow me to start the CGAL installation.

The last two attempts involved problems with the CGAL installation itself that has more to do with my lack of understanding than the tool probably.

Which is why I think I need more hands-on mentoring.

The list of questions from StackOverflow below were very helpful moving forward, but as I overcame each issue, a new one appeared.

And while I'm still far from being able to run CGAL,  I'm out of time to continue debugging.

If you're interested and willing, please feel free to contact me.  Though my budget is limited, I'm not asking this to be gratis.

My information is below.  And thanks for your consideration.

Have a great day, and happy programming.

Sincerely,

Kyle Simmons

[hidden email]

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45039071/run-cgal-demo-on-visual-studio-2013

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46362196/cmake-unable-to-find-the-requested-boost-libraries

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46408685/cmake-could-not-find-the-following-boost-librariesboost-thread-boost-system

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43870280/vtk-msvc14-installation-fails-when-building-install

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48659888/build-cgal-using-visual-studio-cmake

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48619873/compile-cgal-library-using-visual-studio-on-win-7

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47124671/cmake-boost-libraries-not-found-windows7

Even attempted to translate this...

https://qiita.com/pikattoo/items/bcd6fb631868af512bff

Re: Tutoring/Consulting

Holosim
== Replying to my own post ==

Just learned about Nabble as the servicer to the mailing list.  (Maybe I
missed that somewhere on the docs.) Anyhow, great resource to backtrack
through previous mailings and see if there are any relevant solutions for me
here.

Still interested to learn if anyone is willing or able to provide
mentorship.  This looks like a great tool for CG environment modeling
pipeline developers.

Re: Tutoring/Consulting

GeometryFactory can help you. It will be free to help you to
get the CGAL lib and an example  compiled, as this should be
a piece of cake, and we hope that we can better understand
where one can get stuck.

We also offer commercial consulting, but let's take that
discussion off-line.

Best,

Andreas

--
Andreas Fabri, PhD
Chief Officer, GeometryFactory

phone: +33.492.954.912    skype: andreas.fabri

Re: Tutoring/Consulting

Holosim
Thank you Andreas,  that's a big help.
Once I get the CGAL library up and running, I hope to prove the technology
to our executives and justify funding a project and hiring consultants.

Thanks,
Kyle Simmons

RE: Tutoring/Consulting

Kim Donghyeon

Hi, I want to know the procedure of commercial consulting. In my company, we want to make mesh but it has some trouble.

How can I do for that?

Kim,

보낸 사람: [hidden email]
보낸 날짜: 2018 3 4일 일요일 오전 3:45
받는 사람: [hidden email]
제목: Re: [cgal-discuss] Tutoring/Consulting

Hello,

> [...]

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46362196/cmake-unable-to-find-the-requested-boost-libraries

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46408685/cmake-could-not-find-the-following-boost-librariesboost-thread-boost-system

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43870280/vtk-msvc14-installation-fails-when-building-install

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48659888/build-cgal-using-visual-studio-cmake

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48619873/compile-cgal-library-using-visual-studio-on-win-7

> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47124671/cmake-boost-libraries-not-found-windows7

> Even attempted to translate this...

> https://qiita.com/pikattoo/items/bcd6fb631868af512bff

--

Andreas Fabri, PhD

Chief Officer, GeometryFactory

Editor, The CGAL Project

phone: +33.492.954.912    skype: andreas.fabri

Sukhraj Singh
Dear Andreas,

It would be great if you ( or anyone from Geometry Factory) could make a short 101 course on Geometry Processing using CGAL and upload it at YouTube. It will be of great help to everyone.

If you could point to some learning resources for Geometry Processing, that would also nice. Many of us might not be exposed to formal training in this area, it would be beneficial if you guys could provide a list of readings.

Cheers!
Sukhraj