Surface Mesh Simplification process

Shrabani Ghosh
Hello,

I have two surface meshes which two have some shared common edges.
For example,     edge 16 (mesh1) ->  edge 2(mesh2)
                          edge 17 (mesh1) ->  edge 3(mesh2)
                          edge 18 (mesh1) ->  edge 6(mesh2)

I am dealing with these two meshes separately. Now I am interested to do
surface mesh simplification in a correct way so that if edge 16(mesh1)
collapsed in the simplification process of mesh 1, then I will also be able
to do edge collapse       edge 2(mesh2) in the simplification process of
mesh2.

If edge 17(mesh1) remained uncollapsed in the simplification process of mesh
1, then edge 3(mesh2) will also remain uncollapsed in the simplification
process of mesh2.

I am doing the simplification process separately.
Is it possible to do it the correct way so that edge collapse will be the
same for two meshes for these specific edges in the simplification process?

I have tried everything to find a solution to these. I could not find a good
way.  Every time I can see that edge collapse is different for two meshes
though I am mentioning which edges to collapse.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Thank you