Setting boundary points in Advancing Front Surface Reconstruction

Setting boundary points in Advancing Front Surface Reconstruction

cgal_2154
This post was updated on .
Hello,

I am attempting to use the Advancing Front Surface Reconstruction method to take a set of points and produce a mesh from them. Specifically,these points contain no noise/outliers and every point should be present in the result mesh, and the points represent an open surface. The problem I am facing is that the method often produces an undesired result by producing undesired facets between points that I want to be on the boundary of the mesh. What I want to do is control what the method uses as the boundary of the mesh by giving the function a set of desired boundary points. A simple example of this problem I am facing is in the images i have attached : the first image is the mesh i want to produce, and the second image is the mesh that Advancing Front Surface Reconstruction actually produces, the problem here being it doesn't produce the desired concave results at the top of the mesh because it creates facets between points I desire to be on the boundary. I was wondering if there was a way to accomplish this setting of boundary points with the Advancing Front Surface Reconstruction function, or if there exists a better method within CGAL to accomplish this task.

Thank you for your time

desired mesh:

mesh produced by Advancing Front Surface Reconstruction :

Re: Setting boundary points in Advancing Front Surface Reconstruction

Do you can post a typical data set, that is two point sets
interior-points.xyz and boundary-points.xyz to get a better
understanding of your use case.

Best,

Andreas

On 18/04/2017 08:50, cgal_2154 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to use the Advancing Front Surface Reconstruction method to
> take a set of points and produce a mesh from them. The problem I am facing
> is that the method often produces an undesired result by producing undesired
> facets between points that I want to be on the boundary of the mesh. What I
> want to do is control what the method uses as the boundary of the mesh by
> giving the function a set of desired boundary points. A simple example of
> this problem I am facing is in the images i have attached : the first image
> is the mesh i want to produce, and the second image is the mesh that
> Advancing Front Surface Reconstruction produces, the problem here being it
> doesn't produce the desired concave results at the top of the mesh because
> it creates facets between points I want to be on the boundary. I was
> wondering if there was a way to accomplish this setting of boundary points
> with the Advancing Front Surface Reconstruction function, or if there exists
> a better method within CGAL to accomplish this task.
>
> Thank you for your time
>
> <http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/n4662684/desired_result.png>
> <http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/n4662684/actual_output.png>

Andreas Fabri, PhD
Chief Officer, GeometryFactory
Editor, The CGAL Project

phone: +33.492.954.912    skype: andreas.fabri