Reconstruction from colored point cloud

cisant
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Reconstruction from colored point cloud

sagar arora
How do I subscribe out of this mailing list?

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 10:37 PM cisant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a way, using CGAL, to reconstruct a 3D model from point cloud but
keeping its point color?
The file to be read has a XYZRGB point per line.

Re: Reconstruction from colored point cloud

Simon Giraudot-2

There are no algorithm specialized for colored point set. However, note
that some algorithms like Advancing Front Surface Reconstruction are
interpolating the point set (vertices of the output mesh are a subset of
the input points), so a possibility is to run such an algorithm and then
just keep the colored of the points for the corresponding vertices. As
the algorithm returns the output as a sequence of triples of point
indices, it should be quite straightforward, see for example
https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Advancing_front_surface_reconstruction/Advancing_front_surface_reconstruction_2reconstruction_fct_8cpp-example.html

Simon Giraudot, PhD
R&D Engineer
GeometryFactory - http://geometryfactory.com/

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Reconstruction from colored point cloud

Simon Giraudot-2
Hello,

What do you mean by filters? If you're talking about functions of CGAL
Point Set Processing (for example CGAL::grid_simplify_point_set()), some
of them reorder the input range, which means you loose the original
indices. That could explain why you're experiencing problems if you rely
on the original order.

There's a way to avoid altering the point set order using dedicated
property maps: the principle is that you create a range of indices
(trivial, just the ordered indices from 0 to N-1, N being your number of
points), and use a property map referencing the original range to
recover the right point/normal. That way, the functions that reorder the
input range will just reorder the range of indices and leave your
original point range unaltered (then you can just use the range of
indices to access the elements you want). You can see an example that
does that in Spatial Searching:
https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Spatial_searching/index.html#title12

It may seem a bit tricky but in practice it's very handy.

I hope this helps :)