Re : A linker error when using CGAL::do_intersect() with VS 2003

Re : A linker error when using CGAL::do_intersect() with VS 2003

BBB HHH
Hi,

I have not installed SP1 for VS 2003, but i tested with VS 2005. In debug mode with VS 2005, the project compiled successfully but the application can not be launched, an error message "The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem". In release mode, it compiles successfully and the application launches but it is not interesting for me to use release mode since i can not debug my source code.

I tried several changes in the project options, like using the /Zm option but the result is the same. I add that the error message "error result returned from 'cl.exe'." comes with an error dilaog box : "A buffer overrun has been detected!   Program: c:\program files\...\vc7\bin\cl.exe"

I used the following number type and kernel :

typedef CGAL::Gmpq                                                          Gmpq;
typedef CGAL::Lazy_exact_nt<Gmpq>                                Number_type;
struct Kernel : public CGAL::Simple_cartesian<Number_type> {};

Thanks
Hichem BARKI

Re: A linker error when using CGAL::do_intersect() with VS 2003

Laurent Rineau (GeometryFactory)
On Tuesday 15 July 2008 16:02:34 BBB HHH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have not installed SP1 for VS 2003, but i tested with VS 2005. In debug
> mode with VS 2005, the project compiled successfully but the application
> can not be launched, an error message "The application has failed to start
> because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the
> application may fix this problem". In release mode, it compiles
> successfully and the application launches but it is not interesting for me
> to use release mode since i can not debug my source code.

Most probably you are linking some piece of code compiled in debug mode with
other parts in release mode. If you use third part libraries, you should
verify that you are linking with debug version of them.

> I tried several changes in the project options, like using the /Zm option
> but the result is the same. I add that the error message "error result
> returned from 'cl.exe'." comes with an error dilaog box : "A buffer overrun
> has been detected!   Program: c:\program files\...\vc7\bin\cl.exe"

It seems that the linker itself has crashed. VS 2003 is quite old (at least
five years old, I think!) and buggy. It will no longer be supported by
CGAL-3.4, the next release of CGAL, because CGAL code triggers
compiler/linker bugs to frequently.

Engineer at GeometryFactory
http://www.geometryfactory.com/