Question about some topology models.

Frank Dz

Hi all,

I am doing some work with topology models like torus, eight models. I found
there are several models in our CGAL repo/data. I want to learn where can we
get such models for CG research purposes?
Many thanks in advance!

Best,
Frank

-----
be open, be creative, be critical

be open, be creative, be critical

Re: Question about some topology models.

J. Scheurich
> I am doing some work with topology models like torus, eight models. I found
> there are several models in our CGAL repo/data. I want to learn where can we
> get such models for CG research purposes?
> Many thanks in advance!
CGAL can read ,OFF files:

https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Polyhedron/Polyhedron_2draw_polyhedron_8cpp-example.html

If your 3D modell can be imported in blender, you can export it to X3D.
The X3D file can be read with the recent version 1.734 of white_dune
and exported to ,OFF with File -> export as .. -> ,OFF file

so long
MUFTI

Re: Question about some topology models.

Marc Alexa
Yes, unfortunately good input shapes are scattered. It would be great if someone maintained and updated a list with short descriptions. Here are some pointers that seem relevant to your question.

A comparatively large collection is contained in the Shape Repository of Aim at Shape. As far as I know, the project is not actively developed at this point, but the shapes are still uploaded and accessible: http://visionair.ge.imati.cnr.it/ontologies/shapes/

A collection with a focus on real world triangle meshes (including all sorts of defects) is Thingi10K. What is useful for what you are apparently looking for is the feature to search based on various properties. For example, here is a query for models that bound a genus 7 solid: https://ten-thousand-models.appspot.com/results.html?q=genus%3D7%2C+is+solid
The query language is simple, I’m sure you’ll figure out how to adjust it to search for what you want.

Ergun Akleman has developed topological modeling tools for polygonal surfaces. I haven’t played with his software, but it seems you can easily generated nice surfaces bounding solids with high genus: http://people.tamu.edu/~ergun/research/topology/download.html

In general, even for good quality models it is sometimes difficult to distinguish embedded from just immersed surfaces. For example for Keenan Crane’s immersed genus 131 “Yeah Right” model ( https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~kmcrane/Projects/ModelRepository/ ) I see different tools reporting different numbers of self intersections.

-Marc

On 12. Feb 2020, at 05:49, Frank Dz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

I am doing some work with topology models like torus, eight models. I found
there are several models in our CGAL repo/data. I want to learn where can we
get such models for CG research purposes?
Many thanks in advance!

Best,
Frank

-----
be open, be creative, be critical

Re: Question about some topology models.

Frank Dz
Dear Marc,

WOW! Wonderful! This will greatly help me test my code and projects!
Really thanks for you kind guidance and help!

Best,
Frank