Point Set Shape Detection Color Visualization Example

Point Set Shape Detection Color Visualization Example

williamlai3a
Dear All,

I am testing the Point Set Shape Detection concept, while I see in the User
Manual page, there are beautiful color visualization of the resulting shape
detection, e.g. Figure 72.1, 72.2, 72.3, etc.
However, it seems I cannot find an example teaching how to map the class
label of the shape back to the point set.
The "Point_set_shape_detection_3/efficient_RANSAC_point_access.cpp" example
seems to be touching some edge of what I want, but unfortunately I am using
Point_Set_3 as my input data structure.
I am wondering if it is possible to release the example code for outputing
Figure 72.1/72.2/72.3 as well.
Thank you very much!

William

Re: Point Set Shape Detection Color Visualization Example

Simon Giraudot-2
Hello,

The efficient_RANSAC_point_access.cpp example is exactly what you want.
The fact that you are using a different data structure makes no
difference apart from the type of the retrieved point. In your case, it
would be a CGAL::Point_set_3::Index instead of a Point_with_normal in
the example (and you can then use this index to fill whatever
Point_set_3::Property_map you want, a color, a plane_id, …).

Most of the figures where done using the Polyhedron_3 demo which has a
Shape Detection plugin that you can use to easily test the package (and
which produces the colored outputs). For the source code, see:
https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/blob/master/Polyhedron/demo/Polyhedron/Plugins/Point_set/Point_set_shape_detection_plugin.cpp

(Note that the demo uses a specialized version of CGAL::Point_set_3, so
this code might actually be quite close to what you are looking for.)

Simon Giraudot, PhD
R&D Engineer
GeometryFactory - http://geometryfactory.com/