Periodic regular triangulation?

Bruno Chareyre-2
Dear CGAL devs, dear all,
We are looking for a way to generate periodic regular triangulations (3D) for use in yade-dem.
We already have a quick & dirty way to achieve it on the top of the current regular triangulation class (by inserting periodic replicates of some of the points), but we are now considering a possible reimplementation to overcome some limitations.

We are thinking of getting inspiration by comparing the codes RegularDelaunayTriangulation vs. DelaunayTriangulation then to reproduce the same logic to extend RegularTriangulation to PeriodicRegularTriangulation.
Does it sound realistic? or should we expect major differences in the regular case?
Thanks

Bruno Chareyre

Re: Periodic regular triangulation?

teillaud
Administrator
Dear Bruno,

At such a coarse level of detail, yes, “the same logic” works. If you look closer, then you must introduce hypotheses on weights, you must adapt dummy points, predicates are more complicated, etc. We have actually started to implement 3d periodic regular triangulations for CGAL, this should hopefully be released in a few months.

Best regards,
Monique
--
Monique Teillaud
https://members.loria.fr/Monique.Teillaud/

Bruno Chareyre

On 11/08/2016 05:11 PM, Bruno Chareyre wrote:

> Dear CGAL devs, dear all,
> We are looking for a way to generate periodic regular triangulations
> (3D) for use in yade-dem.
> We already have a quick & dirty way to achieve it on the top of the
> current regular triangulation class (by inserting periodic replicates of
> some of the points), but we are now considering a possible
> reimplementation to overcome some limitations.
>
> We are thinking of getting inspiration by comparing the codes
> RegularDelaunayTriangulation vs. DelaunayTriangulation then to reproduce
> the same logic to extend RegularTriangulation to
> PeriodicRegularTriangulation.
> Does it sound realistic? or should we expect major differences in the
> regular case?
> Thanks
>
> Bruno Chareyre

Note that the PR #2212 has been integrated in the master branch of CGAL.
3D periodic triangulations will be also available in the upcoming
release of CGAL.

See https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/pull/2212

Re: Periodic regular triangulation?

Bruno Chareyre-2
Hello,
I'm extremely glad to hear that, thank you very much!
I will have a look at it.
Regards
Bruno Chareyre