Partitioning polygon with holes into small number of convex polygon / Merging grid squares into bigger convex polygons

B H

Partitioning polygon with holes into small number of convex polygon / Merging grid squares into bigger convex polygons

B H
Hi,
    I would appreciate any pointers on how to solve this problem..
    The raw data I have is a set of unit squares in the grid coordinates(ie. one of the diagonal is from (j, k) to (j+1, k+1)   where j,k are some integers). I want to convert them into bigger convex polygons that would be used for routing graph.

   My first attempt  was to union/join of unit squares and and feed resulting polygons to greene_approx_convex_partition_2
or  approx_convex_partition_2, only to realize  that  these functions need simple polygons as input
(After union of unit squares the resulting polygons have holes in them (all the resulting polygons have integer coordinates
        and only vertical or horizontal edges).)

    I am not sure given the fact that raw input is unit squares, I can use some algorithm to join only some of them
    to create convex polygons. I have tried  some adhoc merging of squares into  bigger rectangles.
Hemant