More C++11 in CGAL GSoC 2020

ahmed elshreif
Hello,

I am Ahmed ElShreif a student from Egypt. I am studying computer Engineering for 4 years. I was a GSoC 19 student with Libreoffice. I would like this year to join CGAL in GSoC 2020.

I know C++ very well and basics of geometric algorithms So I found this project the most interesting one for me. I need to understand more about the project. What will be the target and deliverables?

I need some recommendations about which issues to start with to dig deep in the needed part for the project.

Thanks,
Ahmed

Re: More C++11 in CGAL GSoC 2020

Efi Fogel
Hi Ahmed,

Nice to e-meet you and thanks for showing interest.

This project requires knowledge in C++ generic programming, QT, as well as computational geometry, linear algebra, and naturally CGAL.
The first requirement is strict---C++ generic programming.

Regarding Generic Programming, I recommend the book entitled "Generic Programming and the STL", see, e.g., https://books.google.co.il/books/about/Generic_Programming_and_the_STL.html?id=4K5QAAAAMAAJ&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y, and especially, the first 3 chapters. The book https://books.google.co.il/books?id=u0CONtnwi9YC&pg=PA15&dq=CGAL+Arrangement&hl=iw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4n-jAwevfAhXO_aQKHSK9AY4Q6AEIKzAB#v=onepage&q=CGAL%20Arrangement&f=false can also help. You may find chapters online.

If you are still interested and haven't installed CGAL, I suggest that you do that. Do it from sources. That is, clone the git repository available on github at https://github.com/CGAL/cgal and build the libraries. You will have to install first the dependencies (e.g., Boost); see http://doc.cgal.org/latest/Manual/installation.html. Install CGAL with Qt support and with CORE support. So you would have to install Qt and CORE as well before you actually install CGAL. After you are done with installing CGAL, try to build and run some example in the Regularized Boolean Operation Package. If you still have the power, build the "2D Arrangement" demo or the "Polyhedron" demo or both. Then, start filling out the GSoC application. At this point I should be able to suggest a few things.

PS, I have mentored GSoC project for a few times now, but never had a student from Egypt.
That would be a nice!
However, it seems that the competition is getting harder every year, and I would hate to disappoint you.
I suggest that if you do decide to participate submit several applications (for several projects and orgs). I think (not sure though) that it is possible.
Good luck,
Efi
   ____  _        ____             _
  /_____/_) o    /__________  __  //
 (____ (   (    (    (_/ (_/-(-'_(/
                         _/

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 19:56, ahmed elshreif <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am Ahmed ElShreif a student from Egypt. I am studying computer Engineering for 4 years. I was a GSoC 19 student with Libreoffice. I would like this year to join CGAL in GSoC 2020.

I know C++ very well and basics of geometric algorithms So I found this project the most interesting one for me. I need to understand more about the project. What will be the target and deliverables?

I need some recommendations about which issues to start with to dig deep in the needed part for the project.

Thanks,
Ahmed

Re: More C++11 in CGAL GSoC 2020

Efi Fogel
Hi Ahmed,

I've just noticed that this message was sent to a larger distribution, and I've responded as if you queried about the projects that I have suggested to mentor, that is, the 2D arrangement related projects,
There are other projects that CGAL offers and might be interesting to you, and you can even suggest your own.

Best,
Efi

   ____  _        ____             _
  /_____/_) o    /__________  __  //
 (____ (   (    (    (_/ (_/-(-'_(/
                         _/

On Wed, 26 Feb 2020 at 10:39, Efi Fogel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

To get started you can try to fix that PR:
https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/pull/4238

And then that one where the goal was to remove the usage
of the old boost::tr1::result_of and replace it by std::result_of:
https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/pull/3846

You'll get bonus points if you find a solution to handle the
depreciation of std::result_of in c++20.

On 2/26/20 9:39 AM, Efi Fogel wrote:

> [...]
> Good luck,
> Efi
>     ____  _        ____             _
>    /_____/_) o    /__________  __  //
>   (____ (   (    (    (_/ (_/-(-'_(/
>                           _/
>

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 19:56, ahmed elshreif <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I am Ahmed ElShreif a student from Egypt. I am studying computer
>     Engineering for 4 years. I was a GSoC 19 student with Libreoffice. I
>     would like this year to join CGAL in GSoC 2020.
>
>     I know C++ very well and basics of geometric algorithms So I found
>     this project the most interesting one for me. I need to understand
>     more about the project. What will be the target and deliverables?
>
>     I need some recommendations about which issues to start with to dig
>     deep in the needed part for the project.

Re: More C++11 in CGAL GSoC 2020

ahmed elshreif
Hi Efi,

Nice to e-meet you and thanks for showing interest.
Welcome :)

This project requires knowledge in C++ generic programming, QT, as well as computational geometry, linear algebra, and naturally CGAL.
The first requirement is strict---C++ generic programming.
I have a lot of experience in C++ and generic programming and also fair experience in QT , computational geometry, linear algebra.

Regarding Generic Programming, I recommend the book entitled "Generic Programming and the STL", see, e.g., https://books.google.co.il/books/about/Generic_Programming_and_the_STL.html?id=4K5QAAAAMAAJ&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y, and especially, the first 3 chapters. The book https://books.google.co.il/books?id=u0CONtnwi9YC&pg=PA15&dq=CGAL+Arrangement&hl=iw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4n-jAwevfAhXO_aQKHSK9AY4Q6AEIKzAB#v=onepage&q=CGAL%20Arrangement&f=false can also help. You may find chapters online.
I am reading these now to refresh my mind about them and almost about to finish.

If you are still interested and haven't installed CGAL, I suggest that you do that. Do it from sources. That is, clone the git repository available on github at https://github.com/CGAL/cgal and build the libraries. You will have to install first the dependencies (e.g., Boost); see http://doc.cgal.org/latest/Manual/installation.html. Install CGAL with Qt support and with CORE support. So you would have to install Qt and CORE as well before you actually install CGAL. After you are done with installing CGAL, try to build and run some example in the Regularized Boolean Operation Package. If you still have the power, build the "2D Arrangement" demo or the "Polyhedron" demo or both. Then, start filling out the GSoC application. At this point I should be able to suggest a few things.
I have done this also but I don't understand the project goals.

PS, I have mentored GSoC project for a few times now, but never had a student from Egypt.
That would be a nice!
Thank you very much. hope to be a good student with CGAL.

However, it seems that the competition is getting harder every year, and I would hate to disappoint you.
I suggest that if you do decide to participate submit several applications (for several projects and orgs). I think (not sure though) that it is possible.
Okay I will think about it.

Good luck,
Efi
   ____  _        ____             _
  /_____/_) o    /__________  __  //
 (____ (   (    (    (_/ (_/-(-'_(/
                         _/

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 at 19:56, ahmed elshreif <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am Ahmed ElShreif a student from Egypt. I am studying computer Engineering for 4 years. I was a GSoC 19 student with Libreoffice. I would like this year to join CGAL in GSoC 2020.

I know C++ very well and basics of geometric algorithms So I found this project the most interesting one for me. I need to understand more about the project. What will be the target and deliverables?

I need some recommendations about which issues to start with to dig deep in the needed part for the project.

Thanks,
Ahmed

Re: More C++11 in CGAL GSoC 2020

MaelRL
You can also look at this project:
https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/projects/1, which contains a number of
issues and tasks related to the transition to modern C++.

Best,
Mael