Merging two surface meshes

NGO Tri Dat

Hello,

I’d like to know how to merge two separated surface meshes [1] of 2D-in-3D polygons sharing a common segment as in the attached figure.

Any hint or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Tri Dat Ngo

[1] http://doc.cgal.org/latest/Surface_mesh/index.html

__________________________

Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement ! Please consider the environment before printing !
Ce message et toutes ses pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis à l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation non conforme à sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf autorisation expresse. IFP Energies nouvelles décline toute responsabilité au titre de ce message. This message and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressees. Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. IFP Energies nouvelles should not be liable for this message.

__________________________

SurfaceMeshes_2D_in_3D.png (78K) Download Attachment

Re: Merging two surface meshes

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
The output won't be manifold and no data structure in CGAL is able
to store this kind of data. What output do you expect?

Sebastien.

On 08/18/2016 02:42 PM, NGO Tri Dat wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’d like to know how to merge two separated surface meshes [1] of
> 2D-in-3D polygons sharing a common segment as in the attached figure.
>
> Any hint or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Tri Dat Ngo
>
> [1] http://doc.cgal.org/latest/Surface_mesh/index.html
>
> __________________________
>
> /Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement ! Please consider the
> environment before printing ! /
> /Ce message et toutes ses pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis à
> l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation non
> conforme à sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication, totale
> ou partielle, est interdite, sauf autorisation expresse. IFP Energies
> nouvelles décline toute responsabilité au titre de ce message. This
> message and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the
> addressees. Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. IFP
> Energies nouvelles should not be liable for this message./

RE: [PRUDENCE_MESSAGE_SUSPECT]Re: Merging two surface meshes

NGO Tri Dat
Hi Sebastien,

You are right, the expected output  is really non-manifold.
My example is very close to: http://geometryfactory.com/portfolio/fracture-mesh-generation/
The objective is to simulate transport and flow in fracture network on such non-manifold grid.
Do you know any solution for my problem? Thank you very much.

Kind regards,
Tri Dat

The output won't be manifold and no data structure in CGAL is able to store this kind of data. What output do you expect?

Sebastien.

On 08/18/2016 02:42 PM, NGO Tri Dat wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I’d like to know how to merge two separated surface meshes [1] of
> 2D-in-3D polygons sharing a common segment as in the attached figure.
>
> Any hint or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Tri Dat Ngo
>
> [1] http://doc.cgal.org/latest/Surface_mesh/index.html
>
> __________________________
>
> /Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement ! Please consider the
> environment before printing ! / /Ce message et toutes ses pièces
> jointes sont confidentiels et établis à l'intention exclusive de ses
> destinataires. Toute utilisation non conforme à sa destination, toute
> diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite,
> sauf autorisation expresse. IFP Energies nouvelles décline toute
> responsabilité au titre de ce message. This message and any
> attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressees.
> Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. IFP Energies
> nouvelles should not be liable for this message./

__________________________
Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement ! Please consider the environment before printing !
Ce message et toutes ses pièces jointes sont confidentiels et établis à l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires. Toute utilisation non conforme à sa destination, toute diffusion ou toute publication, totale ou partielle, est interdite, sauf autorisation expresse. IFP Energies nouvelles décline toute responsabilité au titre de ce message. This message and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the addressees. Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. IFP Energies nouvelles should not be liable for this message.

Re: [PRUDENCE_MESSAGE_SUSPECT]Re: Merging two surface meshes

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
In the example you refer too, meshes were store individually without any
specify information about the connectivity. The different model were
simply meshed together so that the interface is common.

One solution is to enrich you structure so that each halfedge might
have a corresponding halfedge in another mesh. In case you have more
than two meshes sharing an edge, you'll need to short them out.

Sebastien.

On 08/22/2016 05:42 PM, NGO Tri Dat wrote:

> Hi Sebastien,
>
> You are right, the expected output  is really non-manifold.
> My example is very close to: http://geometryfactory.com/portfolio/fracture-mesh-generation/
> The objective is to simulate transport and flow in fracture network on such non-manifold grid.
> Do you know any solution for my problem? Thank you very much.
>
> Kind regards,
> Tri Dat

Shrabani Ghosh
Hi,

I am trying to do something similar. I want to merge two meshes and after
merging there will be shared vertices and edges. which means it will be
non-manifold. How can I do this? Can you refer to examples?
I have attached the snapshots here.

<http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376134/28.png>
<http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376134/29.png>

After merging these two meshes, it should be look like this
<http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376134/30.png>

And there will be shared connected vertices.

Thanks
Shrabani Ghosh

Re: [PRUDENCE_MESSAGE_SUSPECT]Re: Merging two surface meshes

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
If you are doing a union, you will have issues only if you are
for example trying to make the union of two cubes sharing only
an edge or a vertex. Otherwise, it should be fine.

Sebastien.

On 9/19/19 6:11 PM, Shrabani Ghosh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to do something similar. I want to merge two meshes and after
> merging there will be shared vertices and edges. which means it will be
> non-manifold. How can I do this? Can you refer to examples?
> I have attached the snapshots here.
>
> <http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376134/28.png>
> <http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376134/29.png>
>
> After merging these two meshes, it should be look like this
> <http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376134/30.png>
>
> And there will be shared connected vertices.
>
> Thanks
> Shrabani Ghosh

Re: [PRUDENCE_MESSAGE_SUSPECT]Re: Merging two surface meshes

Shrabani Ghosh
I already tried the union. But it's coming out as the union operation could
not be computed.
I tried with different input files, it works but with my two input files, it
does not work. Is it possible because of coordinates?

Regards
Shrabani Ghosh

Re: [PRUDENCE_MESSAGE_SUSPECT]Re: Merging two surface meshes

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
It does not work because the output is full of non-manifold edges
(you are doing the union of 2 surfaces extracted from marching cube so
if is expected to have such edges).

Sebastien.