Merging surface meshes and retaining region/face IDs

Merging surface meshes and retaining region/face IDs

mta08nr
Hi,

Is there a way to merge two surfaces (using the union boolean operator for example) and retain facet/triangle IDs for the merged geometry such that you can differentiate between the original two surface mesh triangles in the merged geometry? I am able to generate a merged geometry using the union operation however, not sure how the surface IDs can be stored in the initial surfaces and consequently be propagated to the merged geometry. Essentially I want the output to be a single surface mesh with two distinct IDs assigned to triangles belonging to shape 1 and 2 (used to generate the merged geometry). Does anyone have a solution for this? Any help would be much appreciated!

Best regards,

Nishant Ravikumar

Re: Merging surface meshes and retaining region/face IDs

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
It is not possible for the moment with Nef. We'll soon introduce new
tools that will allow this.

Sebastien.

On 12/15/2015 05:44 PM, mta08nr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to merge two surfaces (using the union boolean operator for
> example) and retain facet/triangle IDs for the merged geometry such that you
> can differentiate between the original two surface mesh triangles in the
> merged geometry? I am able to generate a merged geometry using the union
> operation however, not sure how the surface IDs can be stored in the initial
> surfaces and consequently be propagated to the merged geometry. Essentially
> I want the output to be a single surface mesh with two distinct IDs assigned
> to triangles belonging to shape 1 and 2 (used to generate the merged
> geometry). Does anyone have a solution for this? Any help would be much
> appreciated!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Nishant Ravikumar

Re: Merging surface meshes and retaining region/face IDs

Shrabani Ghosh
Is it possible to do something similar now?

Regards
Shrabani Ghosh

Re: Merging surface meshes and retaining region/face IDs

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
See this example:

https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/blob/master/Polygon_mesh_processing/examples/Polygon_mesh_processing/corefinement_mesh_union_with_attributes.cpp

Sebastien.