Installing a CGAL GUI

Godjenka
Hi,

I have seen the different youtube videos for cgal tutorials(such as this
one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbeykhQgu9Y&t=569s with the window named
CGAL polyhedron demo) and I would like to know: how can I install the same
GUI? I'd like to visualize the algorithms.

Best

Re: Installing a CGAL GUI

andreas.fabri

It is in CGAL_ROOT/demo/Polyhedron

andreas

On 2/10/2020 3:55 AM, Godjenka wrote:
Hi,

I have seen the different youtube videos for cgal tutorials(such as this
one:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbeykhQgu9Y&t=569s with the window named
CGAL polyhedron demo) and I would like to know: how can I install the same
GUI? I'd like to visualize the algorithms.

Best

Andreas Fabri, PhD
Chief Officer, GeometryFactory
Editor, The CGAL Project

phone: +33.492.954.912    skype: andreas.fabri

Re: Installing a CGAL GUI

Godjenka
Ok thanks,

Is there an executable file or program? I can't seem to find it.

Best

Re: Installing a CGAL GUI

Maxime Gimeno
You need to build it from sources, or download a precompiled version  (if you are using Windows) at this address : https://www.cgal.org/demo/5.0.1/polyhedron_3.zip

Le mer. 12 févr. 2020 à 04:43, Godjenka <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Ok thanks,

Is there an executable file or program? I can't seem to find it.

Best

Re: Installing a CGAL GUI

Godjenka
I am using Ubuntu, and I've built everything according to the instructions on
the CGAL website. When everything is built, I still don't get an executable
file.

Re: Installing a CGAL GUI

Maxime Gimeno
in the build directory you used to build the project in Polyhedron/demo/Polyhedron, the executable is called Polyhedron_3

Le mer. 12 févr. 2020 à 09:57, Godjenka <[hidden email]> a écrit :
I am using Ubuntu, and I've built everything according to the instructions on
the CGAL website. When everything is built, I still don't get an executable
file.

Re: Installing a CGAL GUI

Godjenka
is it a Qt resource file?

Re: Installing a CGAL GUI

Maxime Gimeno
Did you configure cmake with the option WITH_demos in your build dir, then type "make demos" ? Do you still don't have an executable in BUILD_DIR/demo/Polyhedron ? Then did you get any warning, NOTICE or error during the configuration or the compilation ?

Le mer. 12 févr. 2020 à 10:05, Godjenka <[hidden email]> a écrit :
is it a Qt resource file?

Re: Installing a CGAL GUI

Godjenka
Good point, I just realized, I had a message "NOTICE: This demo requires Qt5,
and will not be compiled."
Which is weird because I already had installed Qt5.

Re: Installing a CGAL GUI

Maxime Gimeno
Ok, then check your Qt5 paths in cmake, it looks like at least one is missing or wrong. Also, check that in your configuration of CGAL you didn't uncheck "WITH_CGAL_Qt5", you actually need that for GUI applications.

Le mer. 12 févr. 2020 à 11:02, Godjenka <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Good point, I just realized, I had a message "NOTICE: This demo requires Qt5,
and will not be compiled."
Which is weird because I already had installed Qt5.

Re: Installing a CGAL GUI

Godjenka
Hi,

I have checked all of this, I am currently having problems with the METIS
library. However, I have already installed it. But the directory is still
missing according to the message and the cmake-gui. Please see the message
below. Also, I want to mention that I am new when it comes to c++ and cmake.

Best
--------------------------
CMake Warning at CMakeLists.txt:80 (find_package):
  By not providing "FindMETIS.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has
  asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by "METIS", but
  CMake did not find one.

  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "METIS" with any
of
  the following names:

    METISConfig.cmake
    metis-config.cmake

  Add the installation prefix of "METIS" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
  "METIS_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If "METIS"
  provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has been
  installed.

Re: Installing a CGAL GUI

Maxime Gimeno
First Metis is an optional library, you shouldn't need it unless you are specifically in need for partitioning graphs.
If you really need it, then you need to fill the following variables :
METIS_INCLUDE_DIR, the path to the directory containing METIS headers (*.h files)
and METIS_LIBRARY, the path to the .lib or .so file.
Installing a library doesn't necessarily mean it will be automatically detected, especially if you install it in a non-standard path in linux.
To make it (far) easier to use cmake, you can use the cmake-gui tool. This way you can see in one look what is missing (it is set to NOTFOUND) and easily fill it, and most of all you can see all the possible variables, which is pretty hard without it.

Le ven. 14 févr. 2020 à 04:22, Godjenka <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

I have found that I couldn't get executable files but I got "shared library"
files instead. I would like to know how to configure my compiler (in Ubuntu)
such that it produces executables. I got to know about the option "no-pie"
but I don't know how to apply it in the case of CGAL.