I cannot run the straight skeleton example

I cannot run the straight skeleton example

jpmaterial

I newly installed CGAL 4.13.1 on Windows 10 following the installation
instructions (I also installed the dependencies). I ran the Polygon Demo,
the Polygon and Convex Hull Examples successfully. However, the Straight
Skeleton example fails.

The VS solution generated by CMake sets "ALL_BUILD" as StartUp Project.
Running the solution like that fails, as it does with the other examples.
However, in the other examples and the demo I can set another project as
StartUp Project, which then works. Not so in the Straight Skeleton example.
Not matter which project I choose, I get errors:

For projects Create_offset_polygon_2, Create_saop_from_polygon_with_holes_2,
Create_skeleton_and_offset_polygons_with_holes_2,
Create_straight_skeleton_2,
Create_straight_skeleton_from_polygon_with_holes_2: Exception in
new_scalar.cpp:37 (in a malloc(40)! With 6GB free memory!)

For projects Create_skeleton_and_offset_polygons_2: Exception at BigInt.h:63

Projects Show_offset_polygon_2, Show_straight_skeleton_2 work, exiting after
writing the usage message.

What am I doing wrong?

Re: I cannot run the straight skeleton example

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
Could you share the input polygon?

On 5/8/19 10:08 AM, jpmaterial wrote:

> I newly installed CGAL 4.13.1 on Windows 10 following the installation
> instructions (I also installed the dependencies). I ran the Polygon Demo,
> the Polygon and Convex Hull Examples successfully. However, the Straight
> Skeleton example fails.
>
> The VS solution generated by CMake sets "ALL_BUILD" as StartUp Project.
> Running the solution like that fails, as it does with the other examples.
> However, in the other examples and the demo I can set another project as
> StartUp Project, which then works. Not so in the Straight Skeleton example.
> Not matter which project I choose, I get errors:
>
> For projects Create_offset_polygon_2, Create_saop_from_polygon_with_holes_2,
> Create_skeleton_and_offset_polygons_with_holes_2,
> Create_straight_skeleton_2,
> Create_straight_skeleton_from_polygon_with_holes_2: Exception in
> new_scalar.cpp:37 (in a malloc(40)! With 6GB free memory!)
>
> For projects Create_skeleton_and_offset_polygons_2: Exception at BigInt.h:63
>
> Projects Show_offset_polygon_2, Show_straight_skeleton_2 work, exiting after
> writing the usage message.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Re: I cannot run the straight skeleton example

jpmaterial
Hi,

the example is self-contained, it does not ask for input. Taking the
Create_offset_polygons_2 project, the polygon used in the main file
(Create_offset_polygons_2.cpp) is the one I posted below.

Best regards,
Jann

  poly.push_back( Point(-1,-1) ) ;
  poly.push_back( Point(0,-12) ) ;
  poly.push_back( Point(1,-1) ) ;
  poly.push_back( Point(12,0) ) ;
  poly.push_back( Point(1,1) ) ;
  poly.push_back( Point(0,12) ) ;
  poly.push_back( Point(-1,1) ) ;
  poly.push_back( Point(-12,0) ) ;

Re: I cannot run the straight skeleton example

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
Sorry, since I saw new_scalar.cpp I thought this was an example you wrote.

So you're saying that running Create_straight_skeleton_2.cpp fails on
your machine? Anything specific about your config? We have several
windows platform in our testsuite where this example runs fine
https://cgal.geometryfactory.com/CGAL/testsuite/

Are you using Visual Leak Detector?

Sebastien.

On 5/10/19 1:05 PM, jpmaterial wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the example is self-contained, it does not ask for input. Taking the
> Create_offset_polygons_2 project, the polygon used in the main file
> (Create_offset_polygons_2.cpp) is the one I posted below.
>
> Best regards,
> Jann
>
>    poly.push_back( Point(-1,-1) ) ;
>    poly.push_back( Point(0,-12) ) ;
>    poly.push_back( Point(1,-1) ) ;
>    poly.push_back( Point(12,0) ) ;
>    poly.push_back( Point(1,1) ) ;
>    poly.push_back( Point(0,12) ) ;
>    poly.push_back( Point(-1,1) ) ;
>    poly.push_back( Point(-12,0) ) ;

Re: I cannot run the straight skeleton example

jpmaterial
"Anything specific about your config?" is a pretty broad question. I'm sure
my set of installed program is unique, as is every CGAL developer's :)

The CGAL dependencies (Qt, CMake, boost) I mostly just installed to run
CGAL. The Visual Studio I've had for longer but hardly started and not
modified.

I don't think a memory is the problem here. The program fails within seconds
of starting, on a calculation of only an octagon with GB of memory being
free. The root cause must be something else.