How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

12

How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

AliiAsgharii
Hi all,
I am using CGAL (Version 4.13 and 5.0.2) and I have set all the requirements
including installing Cmake (version 3.13), Qt5 (version 5.14.2), boost
(version 1_69 and 1_72), Visual Studio (versions 2013, 2017, 2019) and even
QGLviewer (version 2.7.2). I set all the path into the correct ones for each
and tried to configure and build a project using Cmake (Using the second
method recommended by CGAL manual document). Then I build the projects
though the visual studio and even I can run and compile some codes (the one
do not need visualisation).
However, when I trying to for example run code to visualise and view the
result I am getting the following error Impossible to draw because
CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER is not defined. I surfed the Internet but I could not
find any suitable solution for this although it seems some people have the
same problem.
Even I tried the first method suggested by CGAL getting started for
installing CGAL but no luck at all.

I urgently need to handle this and would be appreciated if someone can guide
me step by step (just like explaining to a beginner of all this). FYI: I am
using windows 10.

Heaps of thanks,
Best regards,
Ali

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

Guillaume Damiand
Hi Ali;

Le 02/04/2020 à 09:08, AliiAsgharii a écrit :

> Hi all,
> I am using CGAL (Version 4.13 and 5.0.2) and I have set all the requirements
> including installing Cmake (version 3.13), Qt5 (version 5.14.2), boost
> (version 1_69 and 1_72), Visual Studio (versions 2013, 2017, 2019) and even
> QGLviewer (version 2.7.2). I set all the path into the correct ones for each
> and tried to configure and build a project using Cmake (Using the second
> method recommended by CGAL manual document). Then I build the projects
> though the visual studio and even I can run and compile some codes (the one
> do not need visualisation).
> However, when I trying to for example run code to visualise and view the
> result I am getting the following error Impossible to draw because
> CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER is not defined. I surfed the Internet but I could not
> find any suitable solution for this although it seems some people have the
> same problem.
> Even I tried the first method suggested by CGAL getting started for
> installing CGAL but no luck at all.
>
> I urgently need to handle this and would be appreciated if someone can guide
> me step by step (just like explaining to a beginner of all this). FYI: I am
> using windows 10.

Have a look at one example in CGAL that use basic viewer; for example
draw_triangulation_2 in the Triangulation_2 package [1].

In the CMakeLists.txt [2], you need:

1) find the package CGAL with the component Qt5

     find_package(CGAL COMPONENTS Qt5)

2) Set the CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER compiler flag

     add_definitions(-DCGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER -DQT_NO_KEYWORDS)

3) Link CGAL_Qt5 with your program

     target_link_libraries(draw_triangulation_2 PUBLIC CGAL::CGAL_Qt5)

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Guillaume

[1]
https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/blob/master/Triangulation_2/examples/Triangulation_2/draw_triangulation_2.cpp

[2]
https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/blob/master/Triangulation_2/examples/Triangulation_2/CMakeLists.txt

> Heaps of thanks,
> Best regards,
> Ali

Guillaume DAMIAND

CNRS - LIRIS UMR 5205
Université Claude Bernard
Bâtiment Nautibus (710)
43 Boulevard du 11 Novembre 1918
69622 Villeurbanne Cedex (France)
Tél: +33 (0)4.72.43.14.34                 Fax: +33 (0)4.72.43.15.36
Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://liris.cnrs.fr/guillaume.damiand/

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

Maxime Gimeno
Hi,
I see in your message that  you have installed QGLViewer. You should not have done it. We have integrated a forked version of ours in CGAL and I fear your installation of QGLViewer interfere with it.
You should only have to check that WITH_CGAL_Qt5 is checked in your cmake configuration to have CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER defined.

Best,
Maxime Gimeno

Le jeu. 2 avr. 2020 à 09:25, Guillaume Damiand <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Hi Ali;

Le 02/04/2020 à 09:08, AliiAsgharii a écrit :
> Hi all,
> I am using CGAL (Version 4.13 and 5.0.2) and I have set all the requirements
> including installing Cmake (version 3.13), Qt5 (version 5.14.2), boost
> (version 1_69 and 1_72), Visual Studio (versions 2013, 2017, 2019) and even
> QGLviewer (version 2.7.2). I set all the path into the correct ones for each
> and tried to configure and build a project using Cmake (Using the second
> method recommended by CGAL manual document). Then I build the projects
> though the visual studio and even I can run and compile some codes (the one
> do not need visualisation).
> However, when I trying to for example run code to visualise and view the
> result I am getting the following error Impossible to draw because
> CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER is not defined. I surfed the Internet but I could not
> find any suitable solution for this although it seems some people have the
> same problem.
> Even I tried the first method suggested by CGAL getting started for
> installing CGAL but no luck at all.
>
> I urgently need to handle this and would be appreciated if someone can guide
> me step by step (just like explaining to a beginner of all this). FYI: I am
> using windows 10.

Have a look at one example in CGAL that use basic viewer; for example
draw_triangulation_2 in the Triangulation_2 package [1].

In the CMakeLists.txt [2], you need:

1) find the package CGAL with the component Qt5

     find_package(CGAL COMPONENTS Qt5)

2) Set the CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER compiler flag

     add_definitions(-DCGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER -DQT_NO_KEYWORDS)

3) Link CGAL_Qt5 with your program

     target_link_libraries(draw_triangulation_2 PUBLIC CGAL::CGAL_Qt5)

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Guillaume

[1]
https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/blob/master/Triangulation_2/examples/Triangulation_2/draw_triangulation_2.cpp

[2]
https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/blob/master/Triangulation_2/examples/Triangulation_2/CMakeLists.txt

> Heaps of thanks,
> Best regards,
> Ali

Guillaume DAMIAND

CNRS - LIRIS UMR 5205
Université Claude Bernard
Bâtiment Nautibus (710)
43 Boulevard du 11 Novembre 1918
69622 Villeurbanne Cedex (France)
Tél: +33 (0)4.72.43.14.34                 Fax: +33 (0)4.72.43.15.36
Mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://liris.cnrs.fr/guillaume.damiand/

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

AliiAsgharii
Hi Guillaume,
I had seen this instruction before, maybe I need guidance from a step before
when I am running this program.
Here are the steps that I have done so far:
I introduced the source and build folder file to Cmake as follow:
Where is the source code: C:/dev/CGAL-4.13
Where to build the binaries: C:/dev/CGAL-4.13/build
And then after configuration (using visual studio 2019 as a generator), I
generated the project. What I got from this step has been attached for your
review.

Then, I opened the CGAL.sln with Visual studio 2019 and built all 10
projects in the solution file successfully (6 success out of 10).

Then I created a project and a CPP file to run my code. At this step, I
added some paths to Additional Include Directories in C++ General
{C:\dev\CGAL-4.13\auxiliary\gmp\include
C:\dev\boost_1_69_0
C:\dev\boost_1_69_0\lib64-msvc-12.0
C:\dev\boost_1_69_0\libs
C:\dev\CGAL-4.13\build\include
C:\dev\CGAL-4.13\include}
and to Additional Library Directories in Linker, General {
C:\dev\CGAL-4.13\auxiliary\gmp\lib
C:\dev\boost_1_69_0\lib64-msvc-12.0
C:\dev\boost_1_69_0\libs
C:\dev\CGAL-4.13\build\lib}
and to Input {libgmp-10.lib
libmpfr-4.lib
kernel32.lib
user32.lib
CGAL_Core-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.lib
CGAL_ImageIO-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.lib
CGAL-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.lib}
I also added some DLL (CGAL_Core-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.dll,
CGAL_ImageIO-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.dll, CGAL_Qt5-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.dll,
CGAL-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.dll, libgmp-10, libmpfr-4.dll, QGLViewer2.dll,
QGLViewerd2.dll} to the folder of the project hello_world_001.
Then I tried to run the code draw_triangulation_2.

Have I set everything correct so far?
Do I need to change anything?

Regarding your solution, I change the Cmakelist inside the example folder
relevant to draw_triangulation.
Could you please kindly clarify if I need to do anything else? I do not
familiar with this environment so many thanks if you explain from scratch.

Best regards,
Ali
<http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376202/Cmake.jpg>
<http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376202/VS_Build_process.jpg>

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
Side remark:

It seems you are not using a package manager. Why not using the latest
version of CGAL then? It might be that you are falling into bugs that
have been fixed already.

Sebastien.

On 4/2/20 10:21 AM, AliiAsgharii wrote:

> Hi Guillaume,
> I had seen this instruction before, maybe I need guidance from a step before
> when I am running this program.
> Here are the steps that I have done so far:
> I introduced the source and build folder file to Cmake as follow:
> Where is the source code: C:/dev/CGAL-4.13
> Where to build the binaries: C:/dev/CGAL-4.13/build
> And then after configuration (using visual studio 2019 as a generator), I
> generated the project. What I got from this step has been attached for your
> review.
>
> Then, I opened the CGAL.sln with Visual studio 2019 and built all 10
> projects in the solution file successfully (6 success out of 10).
>
> Then I created a project and a CPP file to run my code. At this step, I
> added some paths to Additional Include Directories in C++ General
> {C:\dev\CGAL-4.13\auxiliary\gmp\include
> C:\dev\boost_1_69_0
> C:\dev\boost_1_69_0\lib64-msvc-12.0
> C:\dev\boost_1_69_0\libs
> C:\dev\CGAL-4.13\build\include
> C:\dev\CGAL-4.13\include}
> and to Additional Library Directories in Linker, General {
> C:\dev\CGAL-4.13\auxiliary\gmp\lib
> C:\dev\boost_1_69_0\lib64-msvc-12.0
> C:\dev\boost_1_69_0\libs
> C:\dev\CGAL-4.13\build\lib}
> and to Input {libgmp-10.lib
> libmpfr-4.lib
> kernel32.lib
> user32.lib
> CGAL_Core-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.lib
> CGAL_ImageIO-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.lib
> CGAL-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.lib}
> I also added some DLL (CGAL_Core-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.dll,
> CGAL_ImageIO-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.dll, CGAL_Qt5-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.dll,
> CGAL-vc120-mt-gd-4.13.dll, libgmp-10, libmpfr-4.dll, QGLViewer2.dll,
> QGLViewerd2.dll} to the folder of the project hello_world_001.
> Then I tried to run the code draw_triangulation_2.
>
> Have I set everything correct so far?
> Do I need to change anything?
>
> Regarding your solution, I change the Cmakelist inside the example folder
> relevant to draw_triangulation.
> Could you please kindly clarify if I need to do anything else? I do not
> familiar with this environment so many thanks if you explain from scratch.
>
> Best regards,
> Ali
> <http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376202/Cmake.jpg>
> <http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376202/VS_Build_process.jpg>

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

AliiAsgharii
Hi Sebastien,
I already tried to use the package manager (vcpkg) if you mean but because I
already set everything with the lower version, I thought if I change the
path I could not even run the simple code.
It is also a bit vague about the process of using VCPKG.

Do you think if I go with package manager, my problem would be solved?
Is there any clear document for using this?

Best regards,
Ali

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

AliiAsgharii
Hi Maxime,
I have a tick for WITH_CGAL_Qt5. SO does it mean I have correctly defined
everything I need?
Do you think if I remove the QGLViewer my problem would be resolved?

Best regards,
Ali

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

I'm just saying that sometimes people have to stick to a given version
because they are using a package manager and they have to stick to
that version.

Since you are using a "manual" installation I was wondering why not
using CGAL 5.0.2

You should review the Installation instructions here
https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Manual/windows.html#title8 and see what you
haven't done.

If you want to give vcpkg a try there is some documentation here:
https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Manual/windows.html#title1

Sebastien.

On 4/2/20 10:32 AM, AliiAsgharii wrote:

> Hi Sebastien,
> I already tried to use the package manager (vcpkg) if you mean but because I
> already set everything with the lower version, I thought if I change the
> path I could not even run the simple code.
> It is also a bit vague about the process of using VCPKG.
>
> Do you think if I go with package manager, my problem would be solved?
> Is there any clear document for using this?
>
> Best regards,
> Ali

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

Maxime Gimeno
I do think that cleanly removing QGLViewer could fix a lot of problems.

Le jeu. 2 avr. 2020 à 10:57, Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory) <[hidden email]> a écrit :
I'm just saying that sometimes people have to stick to a given version
because they are using a package manager and they have to stick to
that version.

Since you are using a "manual" installation I was wondering why not
using CGAL 5.0.2

You should review the Installation instructions here
https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Manual/windows.html#title8 and see what you
haven't done.

If you want to give vcpkg a try there is some documentation here:
https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Manual/windows.html#title1

Sebastien.

On 4/2/20 10:32 AM, AliiAsgharii wrote:
> Hi Sebastien,
> I already tried to use the package manager (vcpkg) if you mean but because I
> already set everything with the lower version, I thought if I change the
> path I could not even run the simple code.
> It is also a bit vague about the process of using VCPKG.
>
> Do you think if I go with package manager, my problem would be solved?
> Is there any clear document for using this?
>
> Best regards,
> Ali

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

AliiAsgharii
Hi Sebastien,
Based on our discussion, I uninstalled everything regarding CGAL and started
installing CGAL using vcpkg.
However, while configuring using CMake, although I have installed qt, still
I get this error:
The example draw_triangulation_2 requires Qt and will not be compiled.
I even installed Qt5 separately by downloading it not by vcpkg and set the
path to the qt5 directory but still, I got the same error.
Do you have any idea?

Best regards,
Ali

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

AliiAsgharii
Hi Maxime,
Actually I just followed the cgal document step by step and I used the same
package that contains the GUI components but for windows 64 (install
cgal[qt]:x64-windows).

Is there any possibility that the qt installation was not complete though?
How can I make sure that it has been installed perfectly?

Best regards,
Ali

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

AliiAsgharii
Yes, sure. Attached please find the files for your review.
CMakeCache.txt
<http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376202/CMakeCache.txt>
CMakeOutput.log
<http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376202/CMakeOutput.log>

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

AliiAsgharii
I also attached a screenshot of my Cmake.
<http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376202/Cmake_1.jpg>

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

Maxime Gimeno
Qt5_DIR:PATH=C:/dev/Qt/Qt5.14.2/5.14.2/msvc2017_64/lib/cmake/Qt5

It should be found from vcpkg. Are you using the toolchain as specified in the document ?

Le ven. 3 avr. 2020 à 10:32, AliiAsgharii <[hidden email]> a écrit :
I also attached a screenshot of my Cmake.
<http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/t376202/Cmake_1.jpg>

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

AliiAsgharii
The first time I used vcpkg for installing qt but while complaining I got the
same error. Then I installed Qt separately.
Yes I used toolchain as specified in the document (select Specify toolchain
file for cross compilation (the file vcpkg.cmake within the directory where
you have installed vcpkg, e.g.
C:/dev/vcpkg/scripts/buildsystems/vcpkg.cmake).)

I am quite sure if I uninstalled the qt I will get the same error. I will do
that though to see what happens.

Re: How to define CGAL_USE_BASIC_VIEWER

AliiAsgharii
When I check the Qt files in C:\dev\vcpkg\buildtrees, in most of the files
with Qt prefix like qt_base or even Qt itself, there is just one file. Does
it make sense?