How to configure? (Ubuntu+EclipseCDT+CGAL+QT4)

How to configure? (Ubuntu+EclipseCDT+CGAL+QT4)

kumar.samay
*** Sorry, for multiple copies ***

Hello Friends,

I want to know if any of can help configuring new C++ project on Eclipse CDT (on Ubuntu 32 bit machine) using QT4 and CGAL libraries. I read some stuff about CMake but as of I am new bee, I will prefer to use Eclipse IDE. Any help would be helpful.

Greetings,
Samay

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: How to configure? (Ubuntu+EclipseCDT+CGAL+QT4)

Amy Tabb
Hello Samay,

I use Eclipse (Galileo) on an 64 bit machine running Ubuntu 9.04 with
CGAL 3.4.  I don't use QT, so I won't be able to help you there.  First,
go through the installation process in the manual
(http://www.cgal.org/Manual/3.4/doc_html/installation_manual/Chapter_installation_manual.html).
You DO have to perform the commands detailed there with the cmake-gui
(section 4.1), but that doesn't mean that your projects have to use CMake.

Here's my settings:

1.  Turn the indexer off or on very low settings (Indexer is found under
Project properties, C/C++ General, Indexer.  You can choose project
specific settings so that all of the projects in your workspace can have
different settings).  Eclipse will try to index all of CGAL's include
files and this results in an out of memory error, and quickly, Eclipse
crashes.  Before you start adding files to a project is a good time to
adjust these indexer settings.

2. Under Project "Properties," then C/C++ Build, then Settings:
    a. Under C++ Compiler, Directories: /usr/local/cgal (or wherever you
installed cgal, this is the default)
    b. Under C++ Compiler, Miscellaneous:    -frounding-math     (More
on why we need this can be found in multiple listserv messages)
    c. Under C++ Linker, libraries, then Libraries (-l):     CGAL
    d. Under C++ Linker, libraries, then Library search path (-L):
/usr/local/lib   (you should find libCGAL.so there)

Best,
Amy

--
Amy Tabb
PhD candidate

Re: How to configure? (Ubuntu+EclipseCDT+CGAL+QT4)

Matthew Denno
Samay,

I don't have a lot of programming/CGAL experience but for Qt/C++/CGAL programming I recently switched over to Qt Creator from eclipse and really like it.  Maybe you want to give it a try.

That said, when I was using eclipse, I used the procedure Amy provided below.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 6:18 AM, Samay Kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
*** Sorry, for multiple copies ***

Hello Friends,

I want to know if any of can help configuring new C++ project on Eclipse CDT (on Ubuntu 32 bit machine) using QT4 and CGAL libraries. I read some stuff about CMake but as of I am new bee, I will prefer to use Eclipse IDE. Any help would be helpful.

Greetings,
Samay

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: How to configure? (Ubuntu+EclipseCDT+CGAL+QT4)

Rahul Kavalapara
Samay,

If you happen to install CGAL and QT from synaptic package manager or using a .deb file, all the libraries would be installed in /usr/lib and include path is /usr/include/CGAL. You will have the demos and examples in /usr/share/doc/ligcgal-demo/
You would want to specify the path settings in eclipse depending on your library and include paths. To specify the path settings follow Amy's explanation in 2.

FYI:
You don't require to write a CMAKE build script to compile your program. A simple compile command  " g++ testProg.cpp -lCGAL" in terminal would as well work for a normal console application.

In your .bashrc export the environment variables LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
This line would help:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/lib:.:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:../lib

--
Rahul Kavalapara

Samay Kumar wrote:
*** Sorry, for multiple copies ***

Hello Friends,

I want to know if any of can help configuring new C++ project on Eclipse CDT (on Ubuntu 32 bit machine) using QT4 and CGAL libraries. I read some stuff about CMake but as of I am new bee, I will prefer to use Eclipse IDE. Any help would be helpful.

Greetings,
Samay

http://mail.yahoo.com

--
Amy Tabb
PhD candidate
Robot Vision Laboratory
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
465 Northwestern Avenue
West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-2035

Re: How to configure? (Ubuntu+EclipseCDT+CGAL+QT4)

ujur007
I have done exactly what you suggested here but it gives me an error

Invoking: Cross G++ Linker
g++ -L/home/ujjval/Downloads/CGAL-4.13-beta1/lib -o "hello"  ./src/cgal.o
-lCGAL
./src/cgal.o: In function `std::ostream&
CGAL::insert<CGAL::Simple_cartesian&lt;double> >(std::ostream&,
CGAL::Point_2<CGAL::Simple_cartesian&lt;double> > const&,
CGAL::Cartesian_tag const&)':
/usr/include/CGAL/Point_2.h:172: undefined reference to `CGAL::IO::mode'
makefile:45: recipe for target 'hello' failed
make: *** [hello] Error 1