Example of 3D Delaunay triangulation failure due to floating point round off error

Example of 3D Delaunay triangulation failure due to floating point round off error

Sheikh Faridul Hasan
May I ask where can i find some example/s (point set) which will fail in constructing 3D Delaunay triangulation failure due to floating point round off error.

Hasan

Re: Example of 3D Delaunay triangulation failure due to floating point round off error

Sylvain Pion
Administrator
Le 26/05/10 19:33, Sheikh Faridul Hasan a écrit :
> May I ask where can i find some example/s (point set) which will fail in
> constructing 3D Delaunay triangulation failure due to floating point
> round off error.

Take a look at the paper
"Classroom examples of robustness problems in geometric computations"
http://hal.inria.fr/inria-00344310_v1/

It gives one such simple example.

--
Sylvain

Re: Example of 3D Delaunay triangulation failure due to floating point round off error

Olivier Devillers

you also can insert random points almost coplanar

(take random points in 2D and project them on a plane z = ax+by+c
with a b and c random floating point numbers)

your program will crash.