Distance from point to a 3D polyline.

Ivan Io
Hello!

I have a fixed triangular surface and a fixed polyline in R3.
I need to calculate min distance to the polyline from shape points.

I found nothing useful about Voronoi diagram on a surface(

But may be location of a surface point in 3D Voronoi diagram for polyline may be a good solution?

Is there something suitable for this task in CGAL?

Thank you so much for any suggestions!!

Regards
Ivan

Re: Distance from point to a 3D polyline.

Laurent Rineau (CGAL/GeometryFactory)
Le Monday, January 30, 2017 6:16:12 PM CET Ivan Io a écrit :

> Hello!
>
> I have a fixed triangular surface and a fixed polyline in R3.
> I need to calculate min distance to the polyline from shape points.
>
> I found nothing useful about Voronoi diagram on a surface(
>
> But may be location of a surface point in 3D Voronoi diagram for polyline
> may be a good solution?
>
> Is there something suitable for this task in CGAL?
>
> Thank you so much for any suggestions!!

The AABB tree is probably the solution:

  http://doc.cgal.org/latest/AABB_tree/#title0

Put the segments of the polyline in a tree, and then you can use fast
distance queries between points and the polyline.

R&D Engineer at GeometryFactory           http://www.geometryfactory.com/
Release Manager of the CGAL Project       http://www.cgal.org/