CGAL and triangle mesh data

Riedel, Torge

Hi,

I’m new to CGAL and took a rough look at the documentation. There is a lot of functionality available in CGAL and my question is whether CGAL provides classes / libraries to deal with triangle mesh data.

In detail: I have triangle mesh data from – let’s say a VRML file – and want to manage and operate on it. If such classes exist, please point to me to right location in the documentation.

Thanks and best regards

Torge

CENIT AG, Industriestrasse 52-54, 70565 Stuttgart, Tel.: +49 711 7825-30, Fax: +49 711 7825-4000, Internet: www.cenit.com
Geschaeftsstellen: Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hannover, Muenchen, Oelsnitz, Ratingen, Saarbruecken
Vorstandsmitglieder: Kurt Bengel, Matthias Schmidt
Aufsichtsratsmitglieder: Andreas Schmidt (Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats), Hubert Leypoldt, Andreas Karrer
Bankverbindungen:
Deutsche Bank (BLZ 600 700 70) Kto. 1661 040 IBAN : DE85 6007 0070 0166 1040 00 SWIFT-CODE : DEUTDESS,
Commerzbank (BLZ 600 400 71) Kto. 532 015 500 IBAN : DE83 6004 0071 0532 0155 00 SWIFT-Code : COBADEFF600,
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart
Handelsregister: HRB Nr. 19117
Umsatzsteuer: ID-Nr. DE 147 862 777

Re: CGAL and triangle mesh data

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
You can use the Surface_mesh class:
https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Surface_mesh/

The BGL package provides some low level operations:
https://doc.cgal.org/latest/BGL/group__PkgBGL.html

The PMP package provides some higher level operations:
https://doc.cgal.org/latest/Polygon_mesh_processing/

Sebastien.

On 01/19/2018 01:25 PM, Riedel, Torge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m new to CGAL and took a rough look at the documentation. There is a
> lot of functionality available in CGAL and my question is whether CGAL
> provides classes / libraries to deal with triangle mesh data.
>
> In detail: I have triangle mesh data from – let’s say a VRML file – and
> want to manage and operate on it. If such classes exist, please point to
> me to right location in the documentation.
>
> Thanks and best regards
>
> Torge
>

> CENIT AG, Industriestrasse 52-54, 70565 Stuttgart, Tel.: +49 711
> 7825-30, Fax: +49 711 7825-4000, Internet: www.cenit.com
> Geschaeftsstellen: Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hannover, Muenchen,
> Oelsnitz, Ratingen, Saarbruecken
> Vorstandsmitglieder: Kurt Bengel, Matthias Schmidt
> Aufsichtsratsmitglieder: Andreas Schmidt (Vorsitzender des
> Aufsichtsrats), Hubert Leypoldt, Andreas Karrer
> Bankverbindungen:
> Deutsche Bank (BLZ 600 700 70) Kto. 1661 040 IBAN : DE85 6007 0070 0166
> 1040 00 SWIFT-CODE : DEUTDESS,
> Commerzbank (BLZ 600 400 71) Kto. 532 015 500 IBAN : DE83 6004 0071 0532
> 0155 00 SWIFT-Code : COBADEFF600,
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart
> Handelsregister: HRB Nr. 19117
> Umsatzsteuer: ID-Nr. DE 147 862 777

AW: [cgal-discuss] CGAL and triangle mesh data

Riedel, Torge
Thank you and Sebastien for your answers. That helped me a lot  to find the right entry point.

A short summary of the challenges are:
- Retesselation / data reducation / corefinement
- Healing / Filling
- Slicing
- Wrapping / Convex Hull
- Shrinked Wrapping / Alpha Shapes

For which I think I have found all the APIs in CGAL docs.

Since this is part of an evaluation of several libraries for meshing to be used in a commercial product I would like to ask for license costs. Is there a document available to see the one time and annual license costs to use CGAL (partly) in a commercial software product?

Many thanks
Torge