CGAL Manual page: visualizer used for outputs

CGAL Manual page: visualizer used for outputs

lotte
Hey guys, how are you going?

I have some particulars questions relate to CGAL visualization features. I've seen so many meshes in CGAL Manual page, such as took from http://doc.cgal.org/latest/Mesh_3/ (examples below), but not so many description how it was made.

Here, in cgal-discuss, I found some tips, such as shared by Stephane Tayeb (Software engineer - INRIA Sophia Antipolislike): medit (http://www.ann.jussieu.fr/frey/software.html, which has its link broken), and others also point to GraphicsView/ . Ok, so, Took me a while until get its examples completely built. Anyway... Seems that nothing inside GraphicsView/demo folder gives me something even close of those pictures. And also it does not allows me to save in differents formats (png, jpg, so on).

Im doing a lot of experiments, but I cannot see my outputs with "nice looking" such as showed in CGAL Manual pages.

Please, if someone has another link, peace of code, or tips that could be shared, I will appreciate!

Thanks a lot, Rodolfo Lotte.
PhD student Rodolfo G. Lotte
Remote Sensing and Image Processing Department (DSR/DPI)
National Institute for Space Research - (INPE / Brazil)

Re: CGAL Manual page: visualizer used for outputs

Laurent Rineau (CGAL/GeometryFactory)
Le Saturday, March 18, 2017 2:02:45 PM CET lotte a ?crit :

> Hey guys, how are you going?
>
> I have some particulars questions relate to CGAL visualization features.
> I've seen so many meshes in CGAL Manual page, such as took from
> http://doc.cgal.org/latest/Mesh_3/ (examples below), but not so many
> description how it was made.
>
> <http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/n4662588/fandisk.jpg>
> <http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/n4662588/liver_variable.jpg>
> <http://cgal-discuss.949826.n4.nabble.com/file/n4662588/Ausbau.jpg>
>
> Here, in cgal-discuss, I found some tips, such as shared by Stephane Tayeb
> (Software engineer - INRIA Sophia Antipolislike): medit
> (http://www.ann.jussieu.fr/frey/software.html, which has its link broken),
> and others also point to GraphicsView/ . Ok, so, Took me a while until get
> its examples completely built. Anyway... Seems that nothing inside
> GraphicsView/demo folder gives me something even close of those pictures.
> And also it does not allows me to save in differents formats (png, jpg, so
> on).
>
> Im doing a lot of experiments, but I cannot see my outputs with "nice
> looking" such as showed in CGAL Manual pages.

Many screenshots (like "liver_variable.jpg")have been made by the "medit"
mesh viewer software. The software page of Pascal Frey has moved to

  https://www.ljll.math.upmc.fr/frey/software.html

The most recent screenshots (like the two other you quoted) have been made by
the CGAL application that can be build from the demo/Polyhedron/ sub-
directory of CGAL.

R&D Engineer at GeometryFactory           http://www.geometryfactory.com/
Release Manager of the CGAL Project       http://www.cgal.org/

Re: CGAL Manual page: visualizer used for outputs

lotte
Dear Laurent, how are you!?

Many thanks for always clarify our doubts! Indeed, the MEdit is the one that gave me the pictures I was search for!

Here: https://github.com/alecjacobson/medit , there is a improved version of MEdit!

I see that many people have doubts about visualization, including me. So, if you want a simple and efficient visualizer, I also figured out the existence of libigl (https://github.com/libigl/libigl), which could be explored aswell.

Example of use:

#include <igl/readOFF.h>
#include <igl/viewer/Viewer.h>

Eigen::MatrixXd V;
Eigen::MatrixXi F;

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
  // Load a mesh in OFF format
  igl::readOFF(TUTORIAL_SHARED_PATH "/bunny.off", V, F);

  // Plot the mesh
  igl::viewer::Viewer viewer;
  viewer.data.set_mesh(V, F);
  viewer.launch();