The CGAL Open Source Project is pleased to announce the release 4.12 Beta 2
of CGAL, the Computational Geometry Algorithms Library.
CGAL version 4.12 Beta 2 is a public testing release. It should provide
a solid ground to report bugs that need to be tackled before the
release of the final version of CGAL 4.12 in April.
*WARNING*: This release features an important change of the CMake scripts
used to configure the CGAL libraries and examples. Developers using
makefiles or the Ninja build-system should set the `CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE` to
`Release` manually, to avoid using CGAL libraries without any compile-time
optimization. Please read the first paragraph of the release notes
Note that, since the release CGAL-4.12 Beta 1, the header-only mode of CGAL
has been modified, and documented.
Besides fixes and general enhancement to existing packages, the following
has changed since CGAL 4.11:
Using CGAL Header-only
- It is now possible to use CGAL without configuring it with CMake, as a
header-only library. Note that, even if CGAL is header-only, its
dependencies (such as GMP and MPFR) are not all header-only.
2D Movable Separability of Sets (new package)
- A new package called "2D Movable Separability of Sets" has been
introduced. It handles a class of problems that deal with moving
sets of objects in the plane; the challenge is to avoid collisions
between the objects while considering different kinds of motions and
various definitions of separation.
At this point this package consists of the implementations of
various predicates and constructions related to castings of
polygonal objects. In particular, it can be used to determine
whether a feasible mold for a polygonal object does exist. If a mold
exists, the package can also be used to compute all possible
orientations of the feasible molds and the corresponding motions
needed to remove the casted object from the mold.
Classification (new package)
- This package offers an algorithm that classifies a data set into a
user-defined set of labels (such as ground, vegetation, buildings,
etc.). A flexible API is provided so that users can classify any
type of data, compute their own local features on the input data
set, and define their own labels.
Kinetic Data Structures (removed package)
- This package has been removed from CGAL-4.12. Users of the package
will have to keep using the source code available in CGAL-4.11 or
See https://www.cgal.org/2018/04/09/cgal412-beta2/ for a complete list of
The CGAL project is a collaborative effort to develop a robust,
easy-to-use, and efficient C++ software library of geometric data
structures and algorithms, like
- triangulations (2D constrained triangulations, Delaunay triangulations
and periodic triangulations in 2D and 3D),
- Voronoi diagrams (for 2D and 3D points, 2D additively weighted
Voronoi diagrams, and segment Voronoi diagrams),
- Boolean operations on polygons and polyhedra,
- regularized Boolean operations on polygons with curved arcs
- arrangements of curves,
- mesh generation (2D, 3D and surface mesh generation,
surface mesh subdivision and parametrization),
- alpha shapes (in 2D and 3D),
- convex hull algorithms (in 2D, 3D and dD),
- operations on polygons (straight skeleton and offset polygon),
- search structures (kd trees for nearest neighbor search, and
range and segment trees),
- interpolation (natural neighbor interpolation and placement of
- optimization algorithms (smallest enclosing sphere of points or
spheres, smallest enclosing ellipsoid of points, principal
- kinetic data structures
Some modules are distributed under the terms of the LGPL Open Source
license (GNU Lesser General Public License v3 or later versions).
Most modules are distributed under the terms of the GPL Open Source
license (GNU General Public License v3 or later versions).
If your intended usage does not meet the criteria of the
aforementioned licenses, a commercial license can be purchased from
For further information and for downloading the library and its
documentation, please visit the CGAL web site: https://www.cgal.org/
Laurent Rineau, PhD
R&D Engineer at GeometryFactory http://www.geometryfactory.com/
Release Manager of the CGAL Project http://www.cgal.org/
You are currently subscribed to cgal-discuss.
To unsubscribe or access the archives, go to
|Free forum by Nabble||Edit this page|