3d mesh outwards offsetting

aseverino
Hello. I've been playing around with CGAL for just over a year now and
recently I came across the need of creating an offset of a Surface_mesh.
Couldn't find anything conclusive in the CGAL documentation.

My problem is simple. My only concern is the concave vertices that shall not
self-intersect. Sharp features being rounded or even entirely lost is
actually a desired result, but not required.

Any thoughts?

Re: 3d mesh outwards offsetting

Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory)
There is a plugin in the Polyhedron demo that allows you to mesh the
offset surface of a given input mesh. The quality of the result depends
on the input criteria. It will generate a non-self-intersecting surface
but sharp feature that should be in the output mesh will not be present.

It handle positive and negative offsets.

The code of the plugin is here:
https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/blob/master/Polyhedron/demo/Polyhedron/Plugins/Surface_mesh/Offset_meshing_plugin.cpp

Sebastien.

On 9/12/19 2:20 PM, aseverino wrote:

> Hello. I've been playing around with CGAL for just over a year now and
> recently I came across the need of creating an offset of a Surface_mesh.
> Couldn't find anything conclusive in the CGAL documentation.
>
> My problem is simple. My only concern is the concave vertices that shall not
> self-intersect. Sharp features being rounded or even entirely lost is
> actually a desired result, but not required.
>
> Any thoughts?

Re: 3d mesh outwards offsetting

aseverino
I have tried that plugin.

Problem is it takes over 2 minutes in Release in order to at least maintain the vertices resolution (I don't care about feature loss).

What am I missing?

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 5:24 AM Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory) <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is a plugin in the Polyhedron demo that allows you to mesh the
offset surface of a given input mesh. The quality of the result depends
on the input criteria. It will generate a non-self-intersecting surface
but sharp feature that should be in the output mesh will not be present.

It handle positive and negative offsets.

The code of the plugin is here:
https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/blob/master/Polyhedron/demo/Polyhedron/Plugins/Surface_mesh/Offset_meshing_plugin.cpp

Sebastien.

On 9/12/19 2:20 PM, aseverino wrote:
> Hello. I've been playing around with CGAL for just over a year now and
> recently I came across the need of creating an offset of a Surface_mesh.
> Couldn't find anything conclusive in the CGAL documentation.
>
> My problem is simple. My only concern is the concave vertices that shall not
> self-intersect. Sharp features being rounded or even entirely lost is
> actually a desired result, but not required.
>
> Any thoughts?

Alexandre A. Severino
Systems Developer and Analyst
+55 11 99994-9148

Si quieres cambio verdadero, pues camina distinto!

Re: 3d mesh outwards offsetting

aseverino
Just to complement:

My input is a water-tight 120,000 vertices mesh.

--
Alexandre A. Severino
Systems Developer and Analyst
+55 11 99994-9148

Si quieres cambio verdadero, pues camina distinto!

Re: 3d mesh outwards offsetting

aseverino
More information on what I'm trying to achieve:

My intention is making a boolean between two meshes, but keep a gap/buffer of 0.1mm between them. The logic I'm going with is outward offsetting mesh A by a certain amount (A2) and then minusing mesh B by A2.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 3:20 PM Alexandre Severino <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just to complement:

My input is a water-tight 120,000 vertices mesh.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 2:41 PM Alexandre Severino <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have tried that plugin.

Problem is it takes over 2 minutes in Release in order to at least maintain the vertices resolution (I don't care about feature loss).

What am I missing?

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 5:24 AM Sebastien Loriot (GeometryFactory) <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is a plugin in the Polyhedron demo that allows you to mesh the
offset surface of a given input mesh. The quality of the result depends
on the input criteria. It will generate a non-self-intersecting surface
but sharp feature that should be in the output mesh will not be present.

It handle positive and negative offsets.

The code of the plugin is here:
https://github.com/CGAL/cgal/blob/master/Polyhedron/demo/Polyhedron/Plugins/Surface_mesh/Offset_meshing_plugin.cpp

Sebastien.

On 9/12/19 2:20 PM, aseverino wrote:
> Hello. I've been playing around with CGAL for just over a year now and
> recently I came across the need of creating an offset of a Surface_mesh.
> Couldn't find anything conclusive in the CGAL documentation.
>
> My problem is simple. My only concern is the concave vertices that shall not
> self-intersect. Sharp features being rounded or even entirely lost is
> actually a desired result, but not required.
>
> Any thoughts?

Alexandre A. Severino
Systems Developer and Analyst
+55 11 99994-9148

Si quieres cambio verdadero, pues camina distinto!

--
Alexandre A. Severino
Systems Developer and Analyst
+55 11 99994-9148

Si quieres cambio verdadero, pues camina distinto!

--
Alexandre A. Severino
Systems Developer and Analyst
+55 11 99994-9148

Si quieres cambio verdadero, pues camina distinto!

Re: 3d mesh outwards offsetting

That's also the order of magnitude I have if I try with elephant.off
and 0.001
   angle=25
   sizing=0.068599999999999994
   approx=0.0001
   tag=0

There might be ways to speed things up but beside the runtime,
an important point is whether the output you have is what you need.
Of course it also depend on the expected runtime, meshing a distance
field is costly and might not be the right tool for your application.

Out of curiosity, could you share a typical input you have?

Sebastien.