3D Surface Meshing from Point Cloud with Edge Constraints

3D Surface Meshing from Point Cloud with Edge Constraints

williamlai3a
Hi All,

I would like to generate a 3D 2-manifold (no need to be closed) from a given
3D point set and a given 3D line (edge) segments. I want the resulting mesh
to take the 3D line segments to be edges as many as possible.
From my understanding, 3D Delaunay Triangulation cannot impose boundary hard
constraint.
Would the 3D mesh generation concept be able to help me in this case?
If yes, how could I make use of it?
If no, would you please advise whether CGAL allows me to do that?

Thanks!
William

Re: 3D Surface Meshing from Point Cloud with Edge Constraints

Laurent Rineau (CGAL/GeometryFactory)
On Friday, November 16, 2018 3:32:11 AM CET williamlai3a wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I would like to generate a 3D 2-manifold (no need to be closed) from a given
> 3D point set and a given 3D line (edge) segments. I want the resulting mesh
> to take the 3D line segments to be edges as many as possible.
>
> >From my understanding, 3D Delaunay Triangulation cannot impose boundary
> >hard
> constraint.
> Would the 3D mesh generation concept be able to help me in this case?
> If yes, how could I make use of it?
> If no, would you please advise whether CGAL allows me to do that?

It looks like more a reconstruction problem than a meshing problem. I suggest
you send us a characteristic data set showing what you have in input.

(Please do not attach to a mail, but links to a web service, like gist, Google
Drive, or any another one.)

R&D Engineer at GeometryFactory           http://www.geometryfactory.com/
Release Manager of the CGAL Project       http://www.cgal.org/